Anyone rocking an ADA MP1 guitar preamp?

Wow Decimator, I loved your track! Great playing, vibe and of course - tone. I'm definitely going to look into the Slate drums and the impulses you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

I also wanted to chime in here about the MP1 and MicroCab, and give you guys a sample of that combo. In this video, I didn't use any post EQ or compression on the guitar, so you can get a true idea how they sound together going direct. A little verb dialed in via a Rocktron Replifex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjGE9SarCww

Thanks man :).

Hey, nice lead tone! I thought that the microcab would be total garbage :)

Jesus christ that playing :OMG::worship: just awesome

I have both the MP1 and Microcab as well! Pretty good hybrid tube power amp. Sounds good with the mp1, but I still want to try it with a peavey 50/50.

I had an mp2 that was the most incredible piece of shit ever made lol, while the mp1 has been one of the best preamp out there really.
Alex skolnick used an mp1 as well as Kirk did (James was all about amp heads).
Mp1 was for lead guitarist really, tons of gain for that time and one of the first midi preamp.

Thanks man :).

Hey, nice lead tone! I thought that the microcab would be total garbage :)

Jesus christ that playing :OMG::worship: just awesome

Thanks man!

I had tried using impulses a few years back, but didn't get very far. I really like the simplicity and sound of the MicroCab, but after hearing your results with the GuitarHacks impulses I'm inspired to check these out.

Do you have more recordings of your music with MP-1>GuitarHacks? Killer sounds! :headbang: I just finished tracking the impulses down and am looking forward to trying them w/ the MP-1 as soon as I get my recording machine back in working order (it started rebooting randomly just as I was finishing up this video!) :zombie:

Do you have more recordings of your music with MP-1>GuitarHacks? Killer sounds! :headbang:

Yes I have. This is not my own song though
http://koti.mbnet.fi/torkkis/midnightmover.mp3

It's not finished as you can hear. A lot of things missing and I haven't made the drums in the chorus. Sorry for the sloppy playing. I will redo the guitars after I finish the drums.

EDIT: Oh, and some mistakes on there too :)

Thanks man :kickass:

My Mp1 is completely stock (version2.01). I used Kefir and Guitarhacks JJ Fred 45 impulse. Then on the rhythm guitar group there is Tessla saturation plugin to compress a little bit. That's about it by the guitars. The drums are Steven Slate 3 LE. On the drum bus again the Tessla plugin to compress. I selected the toms from a different kit than the others and possibly the snare too. I'll post more detailed info if needed when I get home and sober up :D

wow i missed this clip very nice man!:headbang: what kefir impulse did you use and how did you use the impulses, one on the left track and the other on the right?

wow i missed this clip very nice man!:headbang: what kefir impulse did you use and how did you use the impulses, one on the left track and the other on the right?

I used this impulse http://koti.mbnet.fi/torkkis/GuitarHack JJ FRED45-HALF.wav I have tried many impulses by now, but always come back to this

Just normal stuff, guitars panned hard lef & right and each one with kefir and the impulse mentioned

Wow Decimator, I loved your track! Great playing, vibe and of course - tone. I'm definitely going to look into the Slate drums and the impulses you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

I also wanted to chime in here about the MP1 and MicroCab, and give you guys a sample of that combo. In this video, I didn't use any post EQ or compression on the guitar, so you can get a true idea how they sound together going direct. A little verb dialed in via a Rocktron Replifex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjGE9SarCww

Nice man! You are smooth! :D

Thanks again :)

You got that right. There's never enough 80's tones :)

Heres update for that Accept song http://koti.mbnet.fi/torkkis/midnightmover-01.mp3

No joke, I just listened to this like 20 times. You kick so much ass! Loving the production and playing; great song too, but I like your version better. I'm not into messing around with 1000 diff impulses, and hearing these sounds.. well that's all I need. Thanks for narrowing things down, and uploading the impulse too. Would love to try kefir, but I'm on a Mac so it looks like I'll be using LAConvolver. Can't wait to get recording again to try this out! I'll post more here when I do.

Thanks a lot man!

ps, can anyone point me in the direction of info re the mics, gear and techniques behind the GuitarHacks impulses? Would love to know more about the power amp and speakers I'm going to be playing through, and how they were recorded :D

Here's another (older) video I made using the MP-1 > MicroCab combo, this time with more verb from the Replifex. This was a practice session run & somehow my trem bar was MIA ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys :headbang:
Hmm, I wonder could anyone sing in this... I may try the backing vocals just for fun :)

On the drums theres no verb, only room sounds from the SSD.
On the guitars Doubledelay and reverb A.

Kon-Tiki - thats some very nice playing again :headbang:

Here's a new video using the same MP1>MicroCab combo. Hope you guys dig it! :kickass:

My entry for the "Strings on Fire" competition

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow guys awesome tones dudes... you guys got me thinking on looking for one but can you guys help me clarify some concerns.

Okay so one does ADA mp-1 need a power-amp?? Since some of you guys mentioned that "mp1+Marshall 9100=win"?
second of all does the Mod you guys mention make a big difference?
third... im mainly interested in this to have some variety when it comes to record some locals bands whom rarely have kick ass tube amps(So i end up using amp sims most of the time yea they think their little line 6 amps are the shit :p) so in a way I would use the ADA mp-1 with Recabinet =] so yeah guys would this benefit me since im in search for a tube poweramp now that i recently purchased Recabinet.

thanks(sorry didnt mean to hijack thread)

okay I see but in my situation since i dont intend on using and speakers, (im just recording with IR's) i dont need poweramp right?