Anyone rocking an ADA MP1 guitar preamp?

I miss my MP-1 a lot these days too especially now that I'm doing a lot more experimentation. I sold mine at least 10-15 years ago! If I'm not mistaken that unit was also used in conjunction with a Mesa power amp to get the guitar tones on Metallica's "Ride the Lighting" and "Master of Puppets" (someone correct me if Im wrong).

Does anyone remember that there was also a single rack space ADA cabinet emulator that matched the MP-1. It was great for recording direct but now a days would be obsolete with all the awesome impuses (esp Catharsis) we have now!

I miss my MP-1 a lot these days too especially now that I'm doing a lot more experimentation. I sold mine at least 10-15 years ago! If I'm not mistaken that unit was also used in conjunction with a Mesa power amp to get the guitar tones on Metallica's "Ride the Lighting" and "Master of Puppets" (someone correct me if Im wrong).

Does anyone remember that there was also a single rack space ADA cabinet emulator that matched the MP-1. It was great for recording direct but now a days would be obsolete with all the awesome impuses (esp Catharsis) we have now!

Yea I remember that cabinet emulator. I almost bought one. Wish I had! I did some demos in the early 90's using the MP1 into a graphic eq, to my tube power amp and came DI'd out of the power amp straight to tape. Talk about bite! I'll see if I can't find one of those demos and post a sample.

Here is a quote from the man who tracked those Metallica albums (Flemming Rasmussen) on the amps that they used.

Hi Boogie

No not more than already on the website.
I know that we tried almost every Marshall Cabinet and Marshal amp in Denmark for the "Ride" session, cause James had his amp stolen just before recording started. He had had some modification done on it and the guy who did it couldn't remember what he had done, so we checked out all the amps and cabs we could get our fingers on. So Ride is made on Marshall amps and Cabs.
Master is done with Boogie amps and cabs, and Justice is a combination of what gear they had at the time - Boogie , Marshall and ADA.

Flemming Rasmussen

:headbang:

...Does anyone remember that there was also a single rack space ADA cabinet emulator that matched the MP-1. It was great for recording direct but now a days would be obsolete with all the awesome impuses (esp Catharsis) we have now!

Yep, I had the Microcab as well. In fact, sold it along with my GP-1000 to another forum member. It's not much good for recording these days (with the awesome impulses we have), but could come in really handy for live usage.

Was this when you tried to catch that refrigerator-sized rack? :D

Haha. Not quite. :) Funny you should say that though, I hurt my back a long time ago trying to do just that. (or maybe since turning 40 my memory is failing me and I don't remember telling you that :lol: )

Haha, yeah, that's the story I was referring to, though you told me like a year ago, so I don't blame you for forgetting :D

Yea I remember that cabinet emulator. I almost bought one. Wish I had! I did some demos in the early 90's using the MP1 into a graphic eq, to my tube power amp and came DI'd out of the power amp straight to tape. Talk about bite! I'll see if I can't find one of those demos and post a sample.

Just found one on Ebay! It's only $49!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ADA-MicroCAB-Miked-Guitar-Speaker-Emulator_W0QQitemZ130316615925QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5779c0f5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A50

One more thing, I tried it through some rocktron-like solid state power amp and it sucked. And then I tried it through Engl Fireball's power section it sounded amaizing!

I've wanted to play through an MP-1 since I heard Cacophony and Paul Gilbert... and it's almost unsettling to see so many people who have been using these things for almost as long as I've been alive. I keep telling myself that I should pick one up when I have the coin, but owning electronics older than me seems a little weird.

Jeff

I have to warn you all though: MP-1 is noisy as hell

That's why I originally got rid of my MP-1. Well that and because at the time I picked up a Digitech 2101. That too is gone. I sold it to my guitarist and it actually died about 2 years ago - RIP! I still have a Digitech 2112 though which to be honest really kicks ass if used along with some impulses.

I've wanted to play through an MP-1 since I heard Cacophony and Paul Gilbert... and it's almost unsettling to see so many people who have been using these things for almost as long as I've been alive. I keep telling myself that I should pick one up when I have the coin, but owning electronics older than me seems a little weird.

Jeff

Jeff, get it! Especially if you love a Marshall hot rodded to hell and back tone. They go for pretty cheap on ebay (usually) when you can find one.

great preamp my friend had one back in the day....i would say its suited more for 80's rock-metal and shredding wish i had one:(

Just curious to see if anyone on this board is using the ADA MP1 tube guitar preamp. :worship:

I've owned mine since 1989 and it has never dissapointed!:kickass:

I have a mp1 (stock edition) since 1 years now and I love this preamp.
Solid state clean is one most beautifull clean I ever hear (with mesa quad and CAE3+), Tube clean is cool for jazzy tone and dist tube channel sound awesome but you can have crunchy rythme sound with this.
I play mostly Thrash metal and some jazz/fusion with this.
Btw ada mp1+Marshall 9100=win:D

great preamp my friend had one back in the day....i would say its suited more for 80's rock-metal and shredding wish i had one:(

I agree, it's definately a shredders preamp! The gain you can get is just insane! Though I rarely ran both preamp levels above 6.

Back in 95', I ran my MP1 into the clean channel of a peavey rockmaster preamp to take advantage of additional eq options, then to the tube pwer amp! Whoa! :OMG: Bottom from Hell!! I played it that way for 2 months till the Rockmaster died.:cry: Never got it fixed and ended up selling it for parts.

I'm rockin only ADA gear in my rack, the mp1 and the microtube power amp. In my opinion, the three tube mod is overkill. Enough distortion as is and it can get very noisy. The MP1 is the 80's rock sound.

Wow Decimator, I loved your track! Great playing, vibe and of course - tone. I'm definitely going to look into the Slate drums and the impulses you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

I also wanted to chime in here about the MP1 and MicroCab, and give you guys a sample of that combo. In this video, I didn't use any post EQ or compression on the guitar, so you can get a true idea how they sound together going direct. A little verb dialed in via a Rocktron Replifex.

Last edited by a moderator: