Adagio's new singer

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
So, what did you guys think about Gus Monsanto, the new Adagio singer?

I personally think he kicked Readman's ass... Great stage presence and enthusiasm and also a kickass voice! Plus also a great person, extremely nice and friendly... Sung perfectly in songs like Chosen, In Nomine and The Immigrant Song...

I can't wait to hear the new Adagio album... it's gonna kick SO MUCH ASS!

I was really disappointed with the line-up change, but I wanted to check these guys out, so I was really pleased with Gus' performance. He was great, sang really well , and it was only his...2nd gig with the band right? The guy was definetly into it, and judging by the size of the crowd during their set, we were all into it too!! Can't wait to hear their new stuff.
Hey Angrafan, where the hell were you man? LoL.

Yep, his second gig with them, and he'd been in the band three weeks as of PP V.

Given those circumstances a side-by-side comparison is probably a bit unfair, but I was extremely impressed by Gus.

Nice guy, too...in fact, the whole band was really cool. Even after we had to stuff 3/5 of them in the back of a pickup -- in the drizzle -- when we went out to eat late Thursday night. (I've a feeling pickup trucks are uncommon in France...Brazil too, for that matter :))

Indeed an unfair comment. But I think he'll prove it wrong with time!

Mike, I was all the time at PP, it sucks that we didn't end up meeting (It's angraRULES, angrafan is another person btw)

Matt (YngvaiX), did you and Ernie succeeded in trying to get Gus drunk with the orange juice?

The interview we did with him will be ready soon, I'll give you guys a link for it in english....

Azrael LenGraden said:
I thought he had a week voice and couldn't hit the high spots well.
I think a lot of that had to do with the less-than-desirable audio mix during their set.... but I know I'm not the only one that noticed that.

I fell head-over-heels in love with Gus! Both his voice and his personality are top-notch in my books! If you didn't know Adagio & didn't know he was extrememly new to the band, you wouldn't be able to tell! He looked and sounded like he fit in perfectly!

My boyfriend & I met him in the elevator of the Fairfield... he asked us what band my boyfriend was in. That was just kinda cool that he was interested. When we found out he was in Adagio (I hadn't seen him yet to know) he was so humble and happy about it. Every single time we saw him after that he said hello with a big friendly smile. After the show on Saturday he came down to the Fairfield party on the second floor patio and further proved that he is one of the nicest guys I've ever met - right up there with the guys from Brainstorm & Into Eternity!!

No disrespect to Readman, but I have ZERO reasons to complain about the line-up change!

Tammy Z

Pellaz said:
Nice guy, too...in fact, the whole band was really cool. Even after we had to stuff 3/5 of them in the back of a pickup -- in the drizzle -- when we went out to eat late Thursday night. (I've a feeling pickup trucks are uncommon in France...Brazil too, for that matter :))

That rocked. And no one complained about it either.

After the show on Saturday he came down to the Fairfield party on the second floor patio and further proved that he is one of the nicest guys I've ever met - right up there with the guys from Brainstorm & Into Eternity!!

MY GOD that was the BEST ENTRANCE to a party ever. Hands down. Kevin (right?) was riding on the luggage rack and Gus was pushing him while wearing an orange traffic cone on his head. :headbang:

I thought he was a little rough in a few spots, but it was only his second time with the guys. The way I see it he can only get better. And the way he handled the crowd and reacted when things went bad only proved his professionalism.

Everytime I saw Gus, he kissed both of my cheeks. Gus said at breakfast yesterday morning, "Even if we aren't playing, I'm coming to Prog USA next year too!" How fucking cool is that?

-MetalRose

AngraRULES said:
Matt (YngvaiX), did you and Ernie succeeded in trying to get Gus drunk with the orange juice?

hahahaha, we did get him to wear "the hat" :)

metalrose...which one were you? I was talking to Gus while he was having breakfast as well...or did they all come down a 2nd time (he was there around 7 in the morning).

Yngvai X said:
hahahaha, we did get him to wear "the hat" :)

metalrose...which one were you? I was talking to Gus while he was having breakfast as well...or did they all come down a 2nd time (he was there around 7 in the morning).

I was the one in the long sleeved Moonspell shirt with all the luggage. I was sitting at the other table and Gus invited me over. I was the woman he told, "You're so cool. You're one of the few women who actually know their music!"

-MetalRose

Evil said:
Unfair statement..Readman is Killer in PC69, I love his voice .I never thought he was a great fit for Adagio's style....Gus was Great and yes,a genuinely nice guy to boot.
Unfair how? I gave my opinion and that is how I feel. Readman is a first class singer and the new guy, while good, sounds like any number of singers out there...good, but nothing to set him apart from 100 other prog-metal singers. He certainly had energy and may be a great guy, that is not in dispute, but the number of gigs he performs with the band will not change his voice. His voice is his voice and it is just too typical(generic) of the genre...again my opinion. I still enjoyed Adagio's set very much, regardless.

I was disapointed that David (I'm a big PC69 fan) wasn't there but I was impressed with Gus. I think he was a bit overwhelmed at all the attention he was receiving. He's been plucked from obscurity and asked to fill some pretty big shoes. I think he did as good a job with someone else's material as anyone could ask and he had a better stage presence than many of other the front-men this year. If they return after the next Adagio cd I hope he doesn't catch the "rock-star" attitude like so many do. Great hangin' with you Gus!

Personally Adagio kicked my ass!!!! There were some technical issues, the mic going dead and the keys died for a minute but overall the guys were professional, didn't bitch or moan and went on to perform one of the best shows at progpower.

I wish people would stop trying to compare singers. David in his own right has an amazing voice but to compare him to Gus at this time, it's not justified. Gus had a few weeks to learn this music and considering the circumstances I think he did an awesome job!

I think in time Adagio will be a force in the metal world, not many bands can pull off stuff like they can live. I was proud to have these guys over in the US and if I had more money I would be flying to PP EUROPE to see them again. :)

Cheers!

\m/ \m/

Well, what can I say? Some months ago I knew a mostly unknown singer with attitude and a nice voice who was striving to make his projects come alive. Now, I feel like I'm friends with a rock star. Which certainly gives some sense of reality to my idea of conquering the world... :p

Nah, seriously speaking, I'm so glad Gus did such a great job. I was into Adagio already, and when I was told he was the replacement for David Readman I felt like being hired myself!!!! It is like I'm his older brother, except for the fact that he's older than me. Well, you get the point, right?

He is aware of all your kind words, and really appreciates the support you're giving to him on this new adventure. He also manages to wash their clothes with real dexterity...

|ngenius (The good robot)

AngraRULES said:
I personally think he kicked Readman's ass... Great stage presence and enthusiasm and also a kickass voice! Plus also a great person, extremely nice and friendly...
I saw David Readman with Pink Cream 69, and he has all these things too. He is also an extremely nice person. If you haven't seen him live, you can't judge his performance. How can you say that Gus kicked his ass if you haven't seen what he's capable of?

Do you know if I've seen him live or not? You may wanna ask first =)

I maybe exaggerated saying that he kicked Readman's ass, but he still did better than in the other times I saw Readman live, was it video footage or at the concert... I know Readman is an excellent singer and I'm a fan of him, but I am very sorry to disappoint you, I still liked Gus better... That's my opinion and it won't be changed until the next time I see Gus and David...

=)