Added bass and went wild with narrow cuts in the highs, czech it!

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So I opened my cab, put V30's 1 and 3 in the bottom row, then mic'ed each 3 times with different mic positions to decide which I liked best. After settling on 50% dustcap/50% cone, I added pitch-shifted guitar for bass and then went wild with eq'ing trying to cut some nasty peaks. Strangely enough, I alternated between each speaker and played around with cutting, and by some coincidence it happened to be around 3 dB of 6k that I ended up annihilating in both, despite how different they sound. Maybe the Rectifier just has an excess of 6k in general (though I doubt any of the knobs affect frequencies that high, except maybe the presence knob). Anyway, please pick your favorite!

BL eq'ed.mp3
BR eq'ed.mp3

I think the first wins me most.Second one is a bit more bassy so i ll go with the clarity of the first

Haha, yeah, I actually have an eq and a multiband both RAPING the low end right now, but it doesn't seem to want to behave; oh well, I can deal until I get an actual bass guitar! Thanks guys! And personally, while BR is bassier, I find the chug absolutely intoxicating, so it gets my vote :D

Sounds better IMO dude :D Much thicker!
Finish off that Behemoth cover so I can try your tracks in a full mix

Thanks dude, and it's on my list of things to do! (after "getting a job", however :D) Which do you prefer?

Probably the second, however I'd still end up notching some more boom out of that tone if it was me, but it seems like there's a tad more thickness on tap in that tone than in the other one :D

Thanks guys! Felix, yup, it's my "Immortal"-style riff from my last band (recorded back in summer '07, so don't judge me on the production! :D)

Late to this thread (again) Marcus...and not much to contribute, as I'm having a tough time choosing which I like more. They both have qualities I like. Just when I think I like one more, I'll put on the other one and will be unsure of myself again. :)

Thanks dude, and after sleeping on it and listening today, I totally agree! The most I would do is blend in a little BL to give it a bit more cut, but the chug of BR just owns IMO!

there you go bro! the added bass gtr (whether it be ghetto or not) definitely helps. at least it gets you a step ahead when you get some real bass in there. (you'll find the difference isn't super mindblowing, but of course, we'd all prefer the real bass, i dont have one available, so i dont care, lol)

p.s. - i like BR, too :)