A bit of Dokken (in C) with the Rectifier :D

Thanks regen! And Felix, yeah, this is strictly for a tone test, so I figured I didn't need to stretch it out - and yeah, it may be simple, but I think it's catchy as all hell! I love Dokken :headbang: :D

Sounds good to me! Fizzyness is not bad, there are tons of fizzy guitars in great albums that fits perfectly in mixes, as you mentioned "This Codless Endeaveoueour" -fuck, it's hard to write it.

It's nice to hear a non-modern metal/numetal/coremetal riff in this forum!

Thanks guys! Though Ed, it's definitely not the mic'ing (or anything else under my control), cuz I hear it in the room too and have experimented GREATLY with positions and speakers ;) And Jevo, yeah, I thought that too, but Ermz, our resident fascist of guitar tones (nothin' but love dude :D) pointed out the above Behemoth example ("Before Aeons Came") as an awesome tone that doesn't sound very fizzy even on its own; whether that's the result of clever post-eq'ing or the fact that it was a 3-channel Rectifier I will soon find out!

Ermz suggested the opening guitars in Behemoth's "Before Aeons Came" (off of Demigod) as a good reference for a solo guitar tone devoid of fizz, and since I'm pretty sure that was a 3-channel Rectifier (or Roadster/Road King), that's the main motivation for me to want to rent one and find out!

Demigod tone is mostly nerghal moded 3 channels rectifier (hellstone mod, in fact it's like a pre500 recto).;)

Anyone find any info on the Hellstone mod? I couldn't find anything online after a quick search.

Probably because Hellstone have really small production (only 3 heads I think...
I know Nerghal have 2 hellstone (moded recto and prodigy) and Trufel from Azarath/Masachist have one). Btw Hellstone guy is Nerghal amp tech (and it's why Hellstone is unknow, he haven't time to build other amp):lol:

How could I not see this thread until now? :) Marcus, although Mesas are some of my favorite amps, that's just plain wrong...early Dokken on a Mesa (and tuned down to C)! :D Just kidding. It may not be quite the tone you're looking for...but it gets better with each clip you do lately. I think even the tone in the fizzy version could have its place. Now, reamp that through a Marshall and slap a lot of reverb on there. ;)

Hahaha, yeah, I know it's a bit blasphemous Mark, but call it "creative license" :D And Adam, thanks dude, and I agree - I find a good balance is cutting just at 6k (rather than 5k and 6k, as I did in that clip), cuz it eliminates a lot of the bad fizz without castrating the tone! But the fizz remains still...

I had my 5150 modded by Voodoo, and while they are great guys with great CS, it was definitely NOT worth the money.

+1 Had a 5150 modded by them years ago and even back then when I knew nothing about tone, I knew enough to realize they had taken all of that aggressive grind and attitude and made it much more... clinical, dry and VHT-like (which wasnt a bad thing per se', but was not my cup o' tea).

excellent business tho. really top notch dudes and work!!

Hmm, that's interesting to hear dude - what mod did you have done? Did it include the bias mod?

I had the "Standard" 5150 mod, which includes a bias adjustment. Sigmund hits the nail right on the head in his description below. I'm definitely not slagging the guys, as they really are hard to beat when it comes to customer service, and some people swear by their work, but my amp definitely didn't grind like a 5150 should, the bottom was still too loose to play without a TS in front of the amp, and the amp was still fizzy as hell.

I would be scared shitless to have them mod my Dual Rec...I really don't think it would sound like the same amp.

+1 Had a 5150 modded by them years ago and even back then when I knew nothing about tone, I knew enough to realize they had taken all of that aggressive grind and attitude and made it much more... clinical, dry and VHT-like (which wasnt a bad thing per se', but was not my cup o' tea).

excellent business tho. really top notch dudes and work!!

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the modding idea, just trying to explore all options! And a bit of an update: I called Mesa yesterday, and asked about the differences between the 3 ch. Rectos and the Roadsters, and the dude I talked to (also named Marcus) said the standard 3 ch. are a bit more bright/shrill than the Roadsters - looks like I'll have to test 'em both, fortunately I know a dude who has a Roadster; too bad he lives 3 hours away, but fuck it, it's worth it! :D

And I didn't bother asking him about the differences between the 2 and 3 channel models, cuz I've heard so much unverified stuff about it already I don't want any more opinions, I just wanna find out for myself!