Addictive Drums

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey guys,

just wanted to ask, if some AD-Users are on the board. I used EZDrummer for a long time and I was never really satisfied with it. So I checked out the AD-Demo a few months ago and was stunned. So I bought the full version.

I'm still pleased with the sounds and the possibilities - but somehow I'm stuck with the Sonor-Set because I can't get the other Instruments to sound decent. I love the sound of that DW Craviotto-Snare but somehow it seems that it just can't stand out in a mix.

I heard a lot about DFH Superior and I would love to have that "Bounce"-Feature (to save cpu-power and of course to have the illusion to treat the instruments on their own).

So...
1. are there other AD-users on the forum that would share some settings and tipps?

2. Do you think it would be an improvement to sell AD and to watch out for a used DFH Superior 1-pack?

Cheers,
Joe

I would say "no", because performance (not CPU performance, but songs) goes over sounds. If something MIDI based doesn't sounds good enough but the performance is awesome, it can be easily redone later. If you don't know how to get decent sound out of AD, the beat just propably don't work or your other playing doesn't fit to the grooves. So if you don't know how to use your stuff properly to make your arrangements good, it doesn't matter if you own $150 or $10.000 worth of gear. Start out simple and add complexicity only after you've gotten the simple stuff to work with your stuff.

And you didn't mention what level of purpose this is for. Until you aren't doing the stuff for real (real drums played by real drummer in real album session in a real studio), I think you will be fine with AD. But I am not saying that you can try it out, go ahead.

Also check the FaderWear guides for parallel drum compression and master bus stuff (google or link is somewhere on this forum if you look at the first few pages on the production tips subforum, written by "Daunt")

Hey pal ... thanks for your reply first. But I don't think you got me right :D

Okay, I totally forgot to say, that I'm programming my drum-performances - and they DO sound good. I'm just not really pleased with my own "workflow". For example: I'm really picky when it comes to snare-drums. I like the Sonor-Snare that comes with AD - but I'm kind of fed up with it. The DW seems a bit weak to stand out against loud guitars and vocals. So at the end I come back to the Sonor-Snare. I feel like I use max. 1/10 of the whole program and just wanted to ask for some suggestions or presets of other AD-Users ;)

And I love the possibility of Superior to bounce every track with one click to get seperate Wave-Files and use them like real recorded drums. That's why I think about selling AD and getting Superior.

Cheers

BTW: I tried Parallel Compression on AD and on bounced Superior-tracks. For sure an improvement!

Why wouldn't you be able to bounce the individual tracks from Addictive Drums to separate WAV files and treat them like real drums? Just solo the drum you want and bounce it as a WAV. Repeat process for all other drums. You don't need DFHS to do this, you can do it with any multichannel VSTi. Am I missing something here?

Ah, I overlooked you wanted to do this with one click. Still not really worth the price if all you want to do is save a few seconds.

Not sure if this is applicable with AD, but I use DFH2 and I have a dedicated project for just the MIDI track that goes thru the VSTi. I then perform a mixdown on each drum (kick, snare, toms, hat, cymbals, ...). So in the end, there are 5 wav files that I use in a seperate project as if they were recorded. This is the workflow that I use. I know it's not one click, but...

Also, I believe that DFHS has a version 2 that just came out...anyone have more info on that?

DFHS2 is soon to be released - so I think you can get V1 for a few bucks less.

Okay, theres another point I missed to mention:
A long time I was only able to bounce tracks in realtime (don't know why). Now after re-installing Logic it works, but I still bounce in realtime (to prevent occasional automation-errors).

That means, bouncing Kick, Snare, Toms, etc. - would take me 30 minutes to an hour (of course that depends on the song-length).

It's a pity that nobody shares his ADPresets even though it's so easy in AD. There's just a tiny section on the XLNAudio-Website with downloadable presets.

I think Addictive Drums is great, the sounds are great, the routing is great, the effects are great, I have no complaints about it at all.

Have you tried using the multi outs of AD? Set each drum to a different output (I think there are 16 outs) then bring them up on aux tracks, process them as if it were audio.
If you want to temporarily save cpu you could turn off multisamples for each drum.
You can parallel compress within AD.
There is an expansion for Addictive drums called Retro, it has 3 Ludwig kits, 70 presets, and 1300 MIDI files which will add a lot more versatility to addictive drums.

I tried using the multi-outs, yeah. Of course that gives you a whole lotta more options.
Maybe it's just the wish for something new or just plain GAS, but somehow I think, Superior MUST be better :D

Dudes, I'm going to built a kit from scratch and see, if I end up with the same set.

Anyhow ... AD-Users, share your Presets! ;)

1. are there other AD-users on the forum that would share some settings and tipps?

Remove the stock mixing done on them (factory compression, EQ etc). They really dull out the stuff. Just apply your own processing to them in their multitracks in the DAW. I've done a full album with AD, and I'm currently writing lyrics for the songs. I think AD really suits the mood of the album with the a bit more organic type of sound (think Dream Theater - Awake and Slayer - Divine Intervention drums), you'll probably hear the stuff within a few months from now.

AD is not perfect, but it's a bit more realistic sounding than Ezdrummer, which I used on the previous album.

Sure, I often replace the snare with other samples.

Well, yesterday a friendly user sent me his presets and I learned a lot by checking out his settings etc. so I'm sure I'll come up with a new great drum-set. Be prepared :D
I totally missed the fact, that you can adjust the volumes of every instrument on the OH and Room-Mics ... D'Oh.

I think he will check that thread again and if he's willing, he surely is going to pm you.
I don't want to share his presets without his permission ;)

As soon as I tweaked my own presets, I'll share 'em for sure

No problem guys!
I'm at work right now, so I don't have the preset here and I can't upload it!
JoeJackson, you could upload it on the forum ftp, no need to ask!

Cheers!

I definitely agree that the sounds on addictive drums are more realistic than DFH
couldnt believe it when I first heard them and with parallel compression they sound even better

I'd love to get my hands on some of those presets too!