Advent

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I love this song. Needless to say.... but well, I had to say it.

It totally gives the 'wandering through a dark forest at night' feel. I don't know why this song stands out so much for me. Maybe seeing it played live on all those bootlegs has given me a new sense of appreciation and shown me the energy of the song... I don't know. The song just sounds so perfect... there is not one part of it which I can't sit through. From the ambient acoustic parts to the heavy ones, it all sounds so great.

Your thoughts?

I wish I could have one favourite part.... I'll try to outline the ones I like most though...

First up... definately the part when Mikael just growls 'TIME! GROWS SHORT!' and the riff it leads into. (This is about 10 min in the song).

Second... the intro and the main riff it leads to after that... I think that these 2 things really set the scene for the song, they kind of tell you what to expect.

Third... the acoustic section about 6 minutes into the song and also finally the whole ambient section near the end of the song.

Not much for favourite hey? But I guess what I was trying to say with the original thread is that the whole song is my favourite... so yeah.

Any favourites from you?

I think the riff beneath "It was all true..." is Opeth's best riff, so I'd have to say that that part is my favourite. But the other parts that you said also stand out. And I agree that the whole thing is amazing.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Argh dam, I overlooked that... the riff beneath 'It was all true...' is the sole reason I wrote the thread in the first place! haha :)

Just sitting here listening to that riff brought images into my mind of walking through a dark forest and nature in general... it was quite vivid, but that's where I got the initial 'wandering through a dark forest at night' description... so thanks for mentioning.

Moonlapse said

. Maybe seeing it played live on all those bootlegs has given me a new sense of appreciation and shown me the energy of the song...

I can relate to this. I've always really liked the song, but after absorbing the live clips so many times, I've gained another level of appreciation for it. For me, it seems to capture so much of Opeth with its widely varied song structure and emotional passages. Damn..it just sounds so fine...

Moonlapse, I think you should be listening to Advent right now. In the spirit of the thread, I mean. :D

The No1 walking, nay, travelling through the forest song:
In The Mist She Was Standing, especially the opening riff. Its not my favourite song, it just gives me a REALLY strong nature vibe.

I don't think any of us will forget the first time we heard Advent, it is just one of those instant Opeth classics. One of my favorite Opeth moments has always been the "We survey the scooooopes" part in Advent. I havn't seen to many that LOVE this part too, which is weird to me...

Black Rose Immortal is my favourite Opeth song, though Advent is simply superb! Everything on Morningrise is some of the greatest music I have ever heard.

Also, a note on "In The Mist She Was Standing": INCREDIBLE song! That would actually, overall, be my second favourite Opeth song....man, it just almost has that same impact on me as BRI.

Yes! We survey the slopes!!
I love that bit, my favourite part on Morningrise.

I always thought it was "serving the stone" it really sounds like that, when I found out it was "we survey the slopes" I was a bit disappointed. "Serving the stone" sounds cooler, ahh well.