The Moor

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Yes, my friends, it is time for yet another one of my song orgies.

Now this... the song that opens what seems to be alot of fans' favourite Opeth album, is just a masterpiece...

How can we sit through an odd 2 minutes of the same sounds looping at the start?? I mean, that's just genious... From that to the beautiful acoustic build up which explodes into a total metal fest... The rest of the song just carries you on a journey... from 'NO MERCY WOULD HELP ME ON MY WAY!!!' to Mikael's 'oooh oh oooh ohh' to a soft acoustic passage to that haunting sigh which just comes out of nowhere to the line which I have in my signature.... you have to love it :D.

P.S. Fear not Advent fans, I have not forsaken you. I just feel the need to mention another great song.

The bit at the start; the bit what fades in, is such a build up to the subsequent acoustic bit. Its masterful in my opinion, because you arent really expecting it to lead to an acoustic section, it seesm more likely to explode into a fury of heavy guitars and growling, which is probably what it would have done were the song on MAYH. But since SL is more gentle (IMO), the way that the Moor turns out is typical of that album and fits right in.

It's probably my favourite song on SL, and i'm glad you've started a thread on it!

I couldn't choose a favorite song on SL, since the whole album is an amazing piece of art, but I must agree with you two, "The Moor" is great. I love that long intro, it's simple, but still beautiful, kinda "enigmatic".

The Moor is good, but it is my least favorite on SL. I love the first half, but at around 6 minutes, the song completely loses focus. They could have cut it off around seven minutes and it would have been great, but the last several minutes, IMO kinda fizzle.

I remeber once, for some reason I was forced to sit through a bunch of shitty music. I can't remember why at all. But then I came home and put on SL and when that growl came in, I thought "Ah, back to the good stuff." That felt nice.

Yeah, after listening to the song a few times, it sounded like it really does lose focus after about 7 minutes... But then I realized it regains focus about 10 minutes in, so it's all good :).

The Moor isn't my favourite song on SL unfortunately... Moonlapse Vertigo takes that place.

I have the lines "If you bear with me, you'll fear of me." Written in nice lettering above my doorway in my room. People always wonder about that, it's cool though.

I must say something in a conversation about The Moor:

UUUUTTTEERRR BRRILLLIAANNCCEE!!!!

I was foul and tainted, devoid of faith,
wearing my death-mask at birth

-Possibly my favourite Opeth lyric ever

Damn... I would've so loved to see Moonlapse played live... anyway, back to The Moor... the intro... that really puzzled me... I think it's probably the best part of the song (if not the entire album??) but it's just the same things being played over and over and over with volume swell... that's really cool :)