"The Moor"

The Moor

Still Life
May 17, 2003
Visit site
If anyone has read the lyrics to this song and have read or watched the play "Othello" might guess that The Moor is a deathly in love character. I'm just wondering what others thought The Moor means. A Moor can also be a grassy open hilled area in europe. Any insight would be great. :)

indeed. i was required to read it in my senior english class in high school, we also watched the movie which was very good.

I thought a Moor was kinda like a wet, swampy area. Lots of fog, very Opethian :D

Main Entry: 1moor
Pronunciation: 'mur
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English mor, from Old English mOr; akin to Old High German muor moor
1 chiefly British : an expanse of open rolling infertile land
2 : a boggy area; especially : one that is peaty and dominated by grasses and sedges

Moor (1) --> A member of a NW African muslim people of mixed Berber and Arab descent. In the 8th century they conquered the Iberian peninsula, but were finally driven out of their last stronghold in Granada at the end of the 15th century. ORIGIN: from Old French More, via Latin from Greek Mauros 'inhabitant of Mauretania.'

Moor (2) [The one in Opeth] --> A tract of open uncultivated upland, typically covered with heather. / A tract of such land preserved for shooting: a grouse moor / US or dialect: a fen. ORIGIN: Mor, of Germanic origin.

Moor (3) as a verb --> (often be moored) make fast a boat by attaching it by cable or rope to the shore or to an anchor. ORIGIN: late 15th century: probably from the Germanic base of Dutch meren.