Advice for someone new in the recording world?

Sober.

New Metal Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hi Everyone,

First off all I want to say that I've been reading the Andy Sneap forum for a long time, so I ain't asking help without doing my 'homework' first!:) But I really don't seem to understand how to record properly, so hopefully you guys can help me out!

I'll first sketch my situation and gear:

Recently I started a thrash/crossover band with two friends and we want to record a homemade demo, because there ain't many good thrash bands in Antwerp, Belgium. We ain't expecting studio-quality, but we do want a tight mix with some nice rawness to it! The problem is that I can't record with my amps (6505 and a Randall RG50TC) at my home, due to bad isolation and complaining neighbors. So recording the analog way ain't an option. I guess that leaves me with two options: 1) I record with my pod X3, 2) I record with ampsims.

The choice between those two is my first problem, so any advice would be appreciated! I've already tried to record one song with my pod X3, but the results are embarrassing... Recently I started to fool around with ampsims like the 8505 and TSE, and with Catharsis impulses in Boogex. But with the same results! The main problem is that I don't understand how to shape to sound, to get a tight and raw mix! I understand that a lot of your sound comes from the fingers, but I don't know which criteria I should keep in mind to play tight? I also know that only guitars won't sound good, so I have to listen to the whole mix!

Our drummer recorded his drums with two normal mics, so the sound quality ain't that good... I tried to explain to him that with those sounds, we probably won't get a tight mix, but he really wanted to have live instruments on our demo. On the other hand: I've been experimenting with DFH and I didn't like the results. I don't know if I use DFH right, but I exported the drum midi from guitar pro and imported it in Reaper. I've read a lot of good things of Slate drums on this forum, but they are to expensive to us! But maybe someone can make me some edited drumsounds with another program, if i send you the midis? I think that would be a push in the right direction to get a nice demo!

I've tried to search some tutorials for recording with ampsims and EQ'ing (I read a lot about High pass and low pass?), but I couldn't find a good topic. So any advice would be really welcome! I'm willing to learn and make a huge effort to get the right results! I'm having two school-free-weeks right now, so I can take my time to try to understand how te record and mix properly.

Excuse me for the way to long text I've written here, but I hope you guys understand my situation and are willing to help!

Cheers,

Didier

^That is correct.

Seriously though, we are gonna need a bit more info so we can help out.
When you are using Boogex, what are your settings?

Well, In boogex I load the S-preshigh impulse and deactivate the amp of boogex. And then I played around with the graphic EQ! The sound was decent, but a little dry and crunchy! But not comparable with all the sound I hear in the 'rate my mix'-topics.

When I record 2 or 4 tracks with my POD and pan them, the sound becomes fuller, but strange enough this wasn't the case with the amp sims... It felt like it missed a lot of punch and 'roundness'. I don't know how to describe best, but I hope you understand.

I don't know what further info I should give, so if you guys need some additional information in order te help me, just ask! Is superior drummer 2.0 better than DFH? But I really can't make the drums sound decent in de mix, it all sound really artificial. What is the best ampsim I can use for an oldschool thrash sound?

Weird.
Are you putting the guitars on a buss or using separate guitar tracks? Unless you have a stereo cab simulation device, you need to put the tracks as separate entities

Yeah, I'm using separate tracks! I haven't been fooling around for a long time, so I probably did something wrong... Tonight I'll try to record some basic riffs over a DFH loop and post it here, so you can hear whether I'm doing it right or not!

Should I use ampsims or podfarm?

It just depends on the project really. Sometimes I use Pod Farm, other times 8505 etc, sometimes I use both in combination. It just depends on what you can get to sit in the mix best and what sounds best