Need some general recording advice

Hearing a lot of helpful things, thanks for the opinions and keep them coming! It's true that I can't afford PT right now, but I will have more time to get using it in college.

I think Reaper would be my best bet. I still have to figure some stuff in it but I have the basics down. Anyone have a link to some useful Reaper tuts?

Yeah PT is expensive. That just how it is. IMO studios, regardless of what they use, are going take you more serisously if can claim you have PT knowledge.

Read this:
http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Reaper_Documentation

They get a lot of *tone shaping* from the preamps. 'Tone' is not some disembodied fairy dust that exists independently of physical characteristics, it's the interaction of everything that does anything when you whack the strings. Never forget this distinction.

Jeff

jeff has anyone ever told you you're like the Sheldon Cooper of this forum??

i'm not having a go or anything, i love it, you swoop in and physics totally has your back...

I also agree that with you say, everything can affect tone on some level, strings, pups, picks, temperament of the guitarist, cables... everything

I wont! And I'll definitely think twice before posting without clearly thinking through from now on. Thanks man.

Wow man.. I honestly don't think I've EVER seen someone do this. :worship: It's always some irrational ball of fuck-off-I-know-everything-even-though-I-asked-you.

I don't have a whole lot to add but your stuff is sounding decent, especially for what you're working with, so keep at it.. Try and get some better drum software and look into the free amp sims that are available, because no matter how much processing you put into the stuff you've got.. you'll never get great results because the raw tones are just not good enough.

jeff has anyone ever told you you're like the Sheldon Cooper of this forum??

i'm not having a go or anything, i love it, you swoop in and physics totally has your back...

I also agree that with you say, everything can affect tone on some level, strings, pups, picks, temperament of the guitarist, cables... everything

I don't actually know who that is...

Jeff

This sounds surprisingly good considering your means and experience.

Thank you! I'd say it's one of my best mixes so far. It's heavy and balanced, but I think the guitars are too fuzzy and could be clearer (maybe try taking off some of the distortion?). The drums fit in but they are not exactly the sound I wanted.

And yes, there might be a few cannibal corpse riffs in there :loco: It's a tone test for mixing experience though.

I've been looking for some decent sim amps but they all sound way too mid heavy and without enough distortion, maybe it's just me? What amps do you guys usually rip on?

Ah, correction. I was not using the sim amps properly, got it fixed now. Using the 8150 lead and some impulses and got some decent tones. Still got a lot of shaping to do though.

This is basically my first tone from impulses, still sounds dry/missing mids though:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5319877/tonegod.mp3