New Here, need some help.

ADRSean

Apr 18, 2008
Hello guys. Well first off my name is Sean Smith. I'm a producer and recording engineer from Lansing Michigan. I am only 19 years old, so my recording equipment is very limited to say the least. Especially in the worst economy in the world. However, I want to know how I can get the most out of the least equipment. I will tell you what I currently own and am using on a new CD i'm producing and mixing/mastering.

I mix/master everything using a combination of FL Studios XXL (the latest edition) and the latest edition of Adobe Audition. I have been using those programs for many years and I know them inside and out.

For guitar recording, I had tried using the Shure SM57 I think it was with the end cap taken off mic'd to a Line 6 Spider Three 120 Watt Combo amp. But it wasn't going to well. So I looked into direct guitar interfaces. I then purchased an IKmedia Stealthplug. I love this. Instead of using the software Amplitube. What we do is plug the guitar into the amp normally, and then plug the Stealthplug into the headphone jack and then into the USB hub on the computer. What then happens is a direct amp recording. The only downfall is it's very thin sounding. But I make do with what that does. Using a lot of EQing to make it sound full (reverbs even.) Same thing for the bass but using a bass amp.

Drums are a lot more complex. As of now we have a few random drum mics, that we use to lay down the basics. And then after which, I go through and help resample using Toontracks EZDrummer and Drumagog software. That's going great. I'm very good at tweaking and EQing.

Vocals we use an Audio Technica USB Condesor microphone. That is great as well.

Examples of my production include my band

www.myspace.com/allduerespectmusic (my earliest productions.) and I'm working on my second album by a local Screamo/metal band (yes both) ha. It's going well but I wondered if there is more I can do to get that studio sound. This forum is awesome, so thank you guys so much for all the advice I found already. (Including Andy's drum samples!)

Sincerely,

- Sean Smith.

It's something a lot of people say, but I feel like it really never goes wrong. Use your ears, and the knowledge you have I guess. Although, I think maybe a decent guitar, and amplitube/guitar rig/impulse? would be a better choice than plugging into a line 6. Especially the spider, I've had a lot of friends who have owned them, not very pleasant to the ears. Mine, anyways.

I know you asked what you could be doing with what you have. That's probably a question only you can figure out, but I hope I helped a bit.

For guitar recording, I had tried using the Shure SM57 I think it was with the end cap taken off mic'd to a Line 6 Spider Three 120 Watt Combo amp. But it wasn't going to well. So I looked into direct guitar interfaces. I then purchased an IKmedia Stealthplug. I love this. Instead of using the software Amplitube. What we do is plug the guitar into the amp normally, and then plug the Stealthplug into the headphone jack and then into the USB hub on the computer. What then happens is a direct amp recording. The only downfall is it's very thin sounding. But I make do with what that does. Using a lot of EQing to make it sound full (reverbs even.) Same thing for the bass but using a bass amp

Look into DI and then use the Revalver demo or something (has fizz every 30 secs but you can get rid of that by bouncing twice). Reverb on rhythm guitars is usually a very bad idea. Your guitars sound very muddy, and actually more like a synth..

Or, if Im reading this right, you're basically using the amp and bypassing the cab? In which case look into impulses.

Especially in the worst economy in the world

You're in a good position compared to Zimbabweans, where money isn't worth shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabwe#Economy

Inflation rose from an annual rate of 32% in 1998 to an official estimated high of 231,000,000% in July 2008 according to the country's Central Statistical Office, a state of hyperinflation, and the central bank introduced a new 100 billion dollar note. Local residents have largely resorted to buying essentials from neighbouring Botswana, South Africa and Zambia. IMF economists estimated inflation at about 150,000% in December 2007. As of November 2008, the latest figures put Zimbabwe's annual inflation rate at 516 quintillion per cent, with prices doubling every 1.3 days. Zimbabwe's inflation crisis is now the second worst inflation spike in history, behind the hyperinflationary crisis of Hungary in 1946, in which prices doubled every 15.6 hours. By 2005, the purchasing power of the average Zimbabwean had dropped to the same levels in real terms as 1953.

You're in a good position compared to Zimbabweans, where money isn't worth shit.

I meant to say America as Michigan is the worst economy im pretty sure. I didnt mean to sound like I have nothing. Im not one of those people who doesnt appreciate how great he has it in this country at least.

Also about Impulses and Revalver. I have used that before. Also Amplitube Metal was one also. I never thought about bypassing the cab like I normally do with the usb interface and then loading an impulse. Great idea.

Also I add a reverb to the background ambience that I isolate from the guitar. It is something that all bands i've shown love when I do. You cant tell it's a reverb, but it brings back the old playing live feel to a pro tooled mix.

Also I add a reverb to the background ambience that I isolate from the guitar. It is something that all bands i've shown love when I do. You cant tell it's a reverb, but it brings back the old playing live feel to a pro tooled mix.

:zombie:

Okkk... I think the biggest problem with that mix was the guitar tone, the playing was nice and tight, and the drum sound was fine.

Theres a really huge presence peak somewhere around around the 4-8 k region in the guitars. Can you hear it? If you can't then the first thing to do is invest in some good monitors or headphones. It comes out as whisling sort of noise, you need rid of. The guitar tone that it is masking isn't too bad TBF.

Joe