need some advice on mixing

darkist

New Metal Member
Jul 22, 2009
ive been producing dnb for a few years now, and have decided to move ova to metal, so me and my mates have been fucking around with a few recordings,

what im after is a point in the right direction, i understand alot about production, but not about recording or eq guitars or bass, and what effects to use, my drums sound alright, (because im using Drums from hell) as i don't have the equip to record them yet. so i know its a fucking big queston to ask but where to from here, any good threads from starters, any info , mainly on eqing and recording would help. :headbang::headbang::worship:notworthy:kickass::kickass:

Do some searches, there's LOADS of stuff about every aspect of metal production here, you just have to look for it.

No one is going to give you a magic step by step guide to making an amazing metal recording, because everything is dependent on everything else, players, equipment, room, mic's, monitoring. The only way to really learn is by doing it, criticizing it and then doing it again. Repeat till death.

One tip I will give though, is that source material is EVERYTHING! Don't ever say "it's ok I can sort that in the mix" get a good quality guitar/amp/cab/mic etc and fuck with the mic'ing until you get the best sound you can. Then audition said sound with the rest of the mix as what sounds good solo'd might not cut through a mix. The more time you spend on the recording stage the less time you'll need to spend mixing and the more effective your time spent mixing will be.

what im after is a point in the right direction, i understand alot about production, but not about recording or eq guitars or bass, and what effects to use, my drums sound alright, (because im using Drums from hell) as i don't have the equip to record them yet. so i know its a fucking big queston to ask but where to from here, any good threads from starters, any info , mainly on eqing and recording would help.

First of all I would try to come up with a guitar sound that you personally like (with the equipment available).
Only from there you can start to learn how usable that sound is and what you might like better.
It's necessary to get an idea of what your guitars should sound like.

cheers guys, i have been searching alot, but its not always easy to find all the info.

does anyone just plug the guitar into a mixer then fuck witt it in a program like NI's guitar rig, or does everyone record off a amp with a mic, could be a dumb Queston im not sure??

Hey Man

Welcome to the forum,

There are many techniques and tips shared by the members on guitars drums and all things relating production/mixing music issues in general and then some.
I don't think you will find a golden rule that says you should only mic or only plug into a mixer as you put it,because alot of the guys on here do both and achieve amazing results with either set up.
It's taken them many years to work things out through trial and error,so to that i would suggest you try both and see which method you prefer.

Being active and participating in threads will enable you to find some answers to some of the questions you might seem puzzled by.
We all search alot also to find sounds and improve our production methods and we also understand that it's not easy,but it is fun and rewarding so,once again welcome and keep on pushing it.

cheers guys, i have been searching alot, but its not always easy to find all the info.

does anyone just plug the guitar into a mixer then fuck witt it in a program like NI's guitar rig, or does everyone record off a amp with a mic, could be a dumb Queston im not sure??

it can be done without micing, just making sure when you say "mixer" you mean interface, cause you won't get too far with an analog only mixer. check the sticky thread on impulses, it has a nice begginer's walkthrough for doing a totally in the box guitar sound.

thanks for the replys, they are all very helpful, i guess i know alot about mixing electronic music as ive done it for years, but recording seems a lil harder, but it will be cool fucking around and learning new things, tis a fucking good forum you fellas have here.

it can be done without micing, just making sure when you say "mixer" you mean interface, cause you won't get too far with an analog only mixer. check the sticky thread on impulses, it has a nice begginer's walkthrough for doing a totally in the box guitar sound.

yea man, guitar>mixer>audio interface. will check that thread out bro. cheers