conflicted...need advice

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Ok so I have kind of a conclict..but this is probably due to my lack of experience with recording and "producing"

I'm a big fan of the really super polished type of mixes that are out now days in modern metal. By no means do I feel my mixes meet those standards yet but I hope to get there someday and I do my best to move towards that direction with all my mixes and I try to as close as possible. So I would assume that for most if not all the people in this forum that is a good thing..right?..well it seems like with the current project I'm working on..that is going to be my biggest obstacle.

I'm recording a death metal band that, according to what they keep telling me..like sloppy dirty mixes...something along the lines of malignancy, putrid pile..death gore..no real vocals just growling kinda stuff...I don't really know how to approach their mix..mainly the drum mix

I record in a tiny little basement room that barely is able to fit drums and my rig and is basically completely untreated...so I usually rely on blending samples with the kits that I record. But this guys want the kit to be all natural and honestly it sounds really messy cause of things like gravity blasts and stuff. I took extra time to mic the drums as best as I could and they sound decent but i they could sound better..but I feel if I trigger it is going to lose that sound they are looking for. Kinda confused on this one..has anyone gone through this before? What do u recommend I do.

imo as long as they're happy then you've done your job.
Engineers are pretty hard headed and always want things their way. But sometimes the artist don't have the same vision you do and I feel that as long as you can get as close to what they want and they are satisfied you'll be all good.
Maybe you can come to a compromise? Maybe just sample replace the kick or something?
Did you record samples of their kit? Maybe just sample replace the kick and toms if you did record the samples and keep the original snare for the hyper blast stuff.
Sometimes it's good to be out of your comfort zone so to me this sounds like a good opportunity to work on something you don't have much experience with that might help you in the future. Who knows, you might surprise yourself.

this is a lot like recording a jazz-band except not as difficult.

when using natural recordings, i tend to record the drums really "hot" esp. with something like short division snare drums or "gravity-rudiments". it would be the obvious thing to say: "focus on every element individually..." ie. mix while you are tracking (then again you should always be doing that).

what i mean by this is; the drums are the most crucial element to the mix, no? so... you must treat them like they will make or break the entire mix. if you mix a bit of the sessions whilst they are tracking ...you can accomplish a you mix without the band instituting their predetermined opinion. personally, i have always done this... and every time i have, the band likes what they hear but i have never done it any other way.

some would say to just "record it and give them the rough mix" ...but i say: persuade the band to like what you bring to the mix creatively.

if they like how you perform the mix = excellent, if the hate the mix = make another one.

for the record: bands maintain a terrible "self-image" ...it is your job, as a "producer" to wrangle all of their affected ideas into one cohesive idea.