Need advice on EQing guitar

abaga129

The Apprentice
Hey everyone, im fairly new to producing "real" music. i mostly produce electronic music of my own. and recently my band decided to produce our own music. My main question is, when equing a high gain guitar, is it best to shape the sound first and then punch holes to fit everything else into the mix? or is it the other way around? or maybe you do it all at once? any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Try getting a really good tone at the source, then high passing and low passing it to get rid of unneeded clashing frequencies, and then carving some small holes where there are weird peaks.

2 very helpful advices:

- Try to get as close to your final sound at the source as you can

- avoid the solo button while equing guitars. After you got drums and bass in place you unmute the guitars. than make them a little too loud (1-3db) and try to punch them in the mix with the eq. When you need more than one 7band EQ rethink your guitarsound and maybe start from the beginning again.

Here's some helpful hints:

1. Get your tone as good as you can get it, never try to "make it better" with EQ.

2. I like to cut some around 150-200, where ever your snare is hitting to bring it out some.

3. I also like to cut around 500 or where ever your highend bass is, to bring it out some.

4. If you dialed in a nice tone, you shouldn't have to use any additive EQ.

5. Find the really fuzzy, unpleasant spots in your tone to remove. Mine are generally around 4k, but be careful, because there is a lot of good tone around there.

EDIT. Totally forgot. Always highpass around 80-100hz and lowpass around 10-12khz