Guitar EQing on DAW?

Danielmarcoulis

New Metal Member
May 20, 2011
By all means Im sure there is a thread on this so if thats the case, just direct me there.

However, I'm at a dilemma. I've dialed in a tone I really like on Pod Farm. But once I put it as a plug in on Logic it the tone becomes crap. I've tried messing with the channel EQ, limiters, compressors, noisegates, but no luck.

It could be my frusteration getting in the way but any tips or advice on how to get some real sound out of it. I can post a clip if its helps but the guitar sound it really muddy, gainy, and just too thick.

helpzzz?

So your saying that podfarm standalone with tone direct monitoring is good but when applying it as a vst on your DI track its different?

Yess. Exactly. I'm not home at the moment but when I am Ill post some clip.

If I just play guitar through Pod Farm, it sounds great.

But whats I use it as a plug in, the tone changes once I hit record. A producer whom my band just previously went to uses Podfarm. However he was saying he like EQ's the guitar tracks on Pro Tools instead of on Pod Farm.

Im just getting no where with recording some solid sounding guitar :(

Either I'm completely missing something here, or... well... you know. The tone shouldn't change at all whether you use it as a plugin or in standalone mode. Even less so when you hit rec. Are you sure you aren't just missing the sound of the actual guitar playing in the room when listening to takes or something?

And he probably prefers to EQ the guitars in PT because Pod Farm's EQ is very limited.

You're not doubling up on Impulses are you? "Muddy/thick" sounds like you might be using a cabinet in Podfarm and an Impulse "after" podfarm.. I'm not entirely sure what's happening here, clips will help.

are you panning the guitar? if your using pod farm as a stereo plugin and panning it you need to use the direction mixer plugin to pan a stereo track in logic.

also on almost every single amp i use in pod farm i have the gain about 40-50 bass treble middle and presence around 50 (depending on the tone of the amp) master volume at 80% then i eq every after just in case your curious.

are you panning the guitar? if your using pod farm as a stereo plugin and panning it you need to use the direction mixer plugin to pan a stereo track in logic.

also on almost every single amp i use in pod farm i have the gain about 40-50 bass treble middle and presence around 50 (depending on the tone of the amp) master volume at 80% then i eq every after just in case your curious.

That actually is the exact tone settings I use for all for rigs on Pod Farm, with different settings on the tubescreamer, compressor, etc.

And I have not use the direction mixer plug in. Ill check that out and see how that works.