The secret to a great bass tone

lanky noob

Jan 13, 2012
The shire, UK
so i've realised finally that the secret to a huge guitar tone is a good bass tone, but the thing is i have no way of achieving a bass tone i love, kinda like the one on machine head's "spine" from the more things change.

Any tips on how to get a tone something like it using nothing but DI and the built in plug ins on logic express would be hugely appreciated, and any other general tips on producing a great bass sound.

PS. sorry if this has been answered before, or if this should be in a different sub section of the forum, but i'm at work so I don't have much time to use the search feature :p

Thanks

maybe, maybe not ... right place at the right time. call it tough love, I'm doing my part to put them on the path to a glorious wealth of information

I think bashing might be a little strong of a word but when you pretty much admit you didn't feel like using the search, any negative feedback is kinda deserved

and yet, I always provide the link to help out ... strange

What I normally do to process my bass after the direct input is a low mid scoop (usually at around 400)
Then I cut out all the highs above 6k.
I duplicate the bass track, and on the duplicated track I add a shitload of distortion, a bit of stereo enhancement, and I cut out everything below 2.4k and above 6k.
Sounds beefy as shit.

There was an amazing thread on this a year or 2 ago, definitely worth the search instead of the rehash.

I think a rehash can be good from time to time, I certainly do things different than I did but in this case that thread was so epic it's worth just finding it and bumping it if there are any more questions suggestions.

If all else fails, consider getting a Sansamp or one of its clones like the Hartke VXL Bass Attack pedal ($50 used). Near instant way of getting a useable tone. I tried getting that tone solely through Logic plugins and gave up, eventually settling for the "distort the hi-passed track" trick. Maybe I did it wrong, but the top end grit from the distortion wasn't very dynamic; it was more a constant buzz that rode atop the bass track.

Since then, I have found another way that I'm really digging; and that is to play through the Sansamp or Hartke with plenty of clack, rattle, and buzz. I set up my bass with low action and new or newly cleaned strings (soaked in denatured alcohol overnight). All the grit and clarity then comes from the strings themselves, via the rattle and harmonic overtones. The pedal's overdrive smooths this out a bit. This kind of grit tracks the dynamics of the playing better. FWIW.

GOOD bass guitar is MOST important.. Bass seems to shine most in the SHIT IN, SHIT OUT example :p
So.. For me usually...
Bass -> Split signal:
1st - TSE BOD for tone character -> Compression (Maybe a few in a row) -> EQ (Lots of mid cuts, Low pass and sculpting) -> Limiter
2nd - TSE BOD -> Compressor -> Cubase Amp Sim for grit -> EQ (For clang and grit) HP usually around 350 - 600, LP around 5-8khz depending on the bass.

Bass Buss with a bit of compression to gel the two together and an overall EQ in case anything comes up :)

There's a bit more in there depending, but that tends to do it.

Yep^^ I definitely recommend using the TsE Bod. Awesome Sansamp plugin. And it's free.

At least he didn't ask for presets, hahaha.

cheers guys :D

just had a look for the BOD and it's pc only it would seem :(
ah well, i'll jsut have to save up and grab myself a real sansamp bdi and a tubescreamer :p