Can anyone help me get this bass tone?

Frak

Nov 30, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey guys,

This bass tone is absolutely fantastic, and I'm trying to reference it for my bands EP release. No matter how hard I try, the only part of my bass' top end that cuts through are annoying ringing frequencies, and EQing them out makes my bass just not cut anymore... any tips on going after a tone similar to that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bass is quite distorted , what are you using to get close ?
Are guitars and bass fighting over some frequencies ?
You could try changing your clean / distorted balance on bass . You need something with a "split and blend" balance control for clean versus distorted bass for that but Cant isolate enough of the bass in the vid to tell what could be used to copy the sound .
In these situations I'd rather aim high than on target . Retro engineering from ref source never equals the original . I love a real overdriven bass tone , ive got so many boxes and racks that will distort / overdrive bass even guitar distortion ,O.D pedals work if I split n blend with clean tone .
SansAmp bass units are your best shot I recon , you might even end up liking your own tone better .

Just remember that the sound of the actual bass and the player make a MASSIVE difference in bass sound. What kind of bass are you using, and how are you recording it? A good bass and a SansAmp/ good DI are usually the go-to.

Bass is quite distorted , what are you using to get close ?
SansAmp bass units are your best shot I recon , you might even end up liking your own tone better .

At the moment, I'm splitting the DI into two, one for the low end, and one is getting run through TSE R47 (A rat emulator) with heavy EQ both before and after. You're probably right, I should try go for something of my own, but I definitely would love to get at least in the ballpark of the TSF record's bass tone. You also might be right about the guitars conflicting - I'll try mess around with poking holes for the bass tone.

Just remember that the sound of the actual bass and the player make a MASSIVE difference in bass sound. What kind of bass are you using, and how are you recording it? A good bass and a SansAmp/ good DI are usually the go-to.

Oh, for sure, totally agree. We used a Fender Jazz bass with Nordstrand pickups - its a nice bass, for sure. The player is solid too. Running into the Hi-Z input on my interface.

To me it clearly sounds as a Darkglass B7K pedal, I'm sure they used it on the last album.

I think you're right as well, after a little bit of research. I have a feeling they might've mic'd up Lori's live rig, which is Darkglass -> Ampeg SVT-3 -> A Zilla Cab. In any case, I do actually have a Darkglass coming in the mail so I'll give it another shot when that arrives.