need advice on guitar/mix

thaz16

New Metal Member
May 31, 2013
Hey everyone I'm working on an intro for my song but i have the same problem i ran on my first mix. I cant seem to get the rythm guitar to really fill in the mix.

I've looked on every tutorial possible to learn how to track,gain staging, tone,eq,compression but I can't seem to fit the rythm guitar in the mix.

I've recorded with the POD HD PRO with IR impulse. My question would be if you guys could help me spot whats wrong since the guitars. Their is only a little compression, LPF and HPF right now. I used a mix of redwirez impulse and god cab.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's your bass not the guitar, The bass tone is punchy and cuts really well but it doesn't fill like it should. It just sounds kinda thin to me, the guitars sound alright. They could probably use a little more compression and if you're into this kind of style maybe editing them would help. Lining every note hit up perfectlly(And I mean dead nuts perfect) Helps a lot. Hope it helps man :)

I think it's your bass not the guitar, The bass tone is punchy and cuts really well but it doesn't fill like it should. It just sounds kinda thin to me, the guitars sound alright. They could probably use a little more compression and if you're into this kind of style maybe editing them would help. Lining every note hit up perfectlly(And I mean dead nuts perfect) Helps a lot. Hope it helps man :)

Bass sounds thin?!?!

It sounds like it needs to be HP'd to me. Too much low end rumble and the bass is a tad loud in the mix.

We must have different ears. Im not saying the bass sound is perfect, but man for a first shot this is a pretty killer bass tone. If anything i'd say that bass tone is the best part of this mix for me. Although I am on shit computer speakers right now.

That could be it for me too I am listening on laptop speakers so it just sounds thin to me. It sounds like it's all attack and punch without any beef to back it up. I'll listening on the studio monitors tomorrow and re evaluate it.

We must have different ears. Im not saying the bass sound is perfect, but man for a first shot this is a pretty killer bass tone. If anything i'd say that bass tone is the best part of this mix for me. Although I am on shit computer speakers right now.

These are my thoughts as well.

Bass sounds thin?!?!

It sounds like it needs to be HP'd to me. Too much low end rumble and the bass is a tad loud in the mix.

I have it another listen through some decent speakers and a set of headphones an yes I have to agree the bass is probably the best sounding part. I just couldn't here anything but the twang before(Stupid laptop speakers..) I agree on the guitar tone as well, the need to cut a little better, and I'd give the drums a little more room (Particularly the snare) as well. I'd be willing to bet that would help the mix a lot.