Advice on new monitors

There are going to be a lot of Adam votes I'm sure but I personally prefer the tweeter on the focals. IMHO the build quality is a little better as well. I've never heard the BM5a MKII but I didn't care for the mk1's at all.

Gearslutz has some nice threads on monitoring. I think a favorite over there on the lower-end is the KH120.

If you want something cheaper, there's also the Sonodyne SM 100AK.

Another vote for the Adam here. Have been using them for years and I think they are very well built. Can't really point anything bad on them. Love their higher frequencies detail.

About 3 years ago i went through the monitor game, looking at all options under 2000 a pair. Honestly in my room i really liked the Yamaha HS80's. They have a touch of self noise that i wish wasnt there, but the sounded like what i wanted to hear from a studio monitor. But all the options you listed are also great choices, i just couldnt justify the price of the yamahas and i honestly prefered them to the one i tested.

About 3 years ago i went through the monitor game, looking at all options under 2000 a pair. Honestly in my room i really liked the Yamaha HS80's. They have a touch of self noise that i wish wasnt there, but the sounded like what i wanted to hear from a studio monitor. But all the options you listed are also great choices, i just couldnt justify the price of the yamahas and i honestly prefered them to the one i tested.

don't you think HS 80 have to many basses? I have a pair and also a pair of Yamaha HS 50...and I still prefer the second,to me they sound more neutral.

I find that if there good for me. My room is 24ft x 25ft though. I also have a fairly treated room.

I bought monitors a week back, i listened at the store and went home with the Yamaha hs7, I like the tight bottom end and the new tweeter. Worked on the old ones. The new ones has a lot more detail and openness. They have my vote for bang for the buck.

Audio homies: I'm falling out of love with my Equator D5s and am eyeing up Dynaudio BM5a MKII, Focals CMS and Adam A7X etc.

This'll go alongside some new acoustic treatment of course, but I find my D5s useless outside the mid range. Nothing seems to translate well on them either, even having used them in dramatically different environments.

Anybody got any experience with the above or other recommendations in the similar price range?
No KRK or other poor people shit. ��

NS10s and a cheap sub!

You literally have to go somewhere that stocks what you're interested in and compare them all. Take music you know really, really well. Check transient respond, stereo imaging and general frequency response. It doesn't matter how many people say Adam - I have a pair of A8Xs as well as the NS10s and love mine - you have to listen and compare really.

Andertons in Guildford stock sE Eggs, Event Opals, Adam A3X - A8X, HS80s... loads. It's all about what speaker works for you. Best of luck - changing my monitors was one of the best decisions I ever made, I hope it's the same for you too dude.

I haven't tired the Focals, but I was actually SUPER impressed with the Dynaudios. They get a bad rap online for some reason, but A/Bing them between the A7Xs, myself and the 3 other people who were with me agreed that the BM5A MKIIs were much clearer in every aspect of the range than the A7Xs were, and they went a little deeper, too.

Maybe it's just me, but NONE of the Adams I tried that day really wow'd me, not even the S3Xs...

I had the exact same experience with my Equator D5s, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I had a pair of Yamaha MSP5s before I got the D5s and after using the D5s for about 6 months or so I went back to the MSP5s.

I suggest you either go for the MSP5 or the, larger, MSP7.