Advice on Vocals & Toms

smy1

Apr 8, 2006
Hamburg, Germany
www.faderhead.com
Hi guys,

here's an older song (power-ballad?) I remixed today and yesterday. I am kinda stuck with the vocals in the verses because I have no idea on how to make them more interesting (fx-wise). I don't want to overdo it, but don't want to keep them as plain as they are at the moment.

I am also thinking about my tom sounds: the problem I have here is that they either have too much attack (very clicky, right now) or too little attack (if I don't boost the high frequencies that much). They kinda sound like cardboard boxes to me. I already added Andy's tom samples a bit into the mix, but I don't think they work too well for this kind of playing ...

Overall this is a very simple, slow track and I am trying to make everything fit together, but for some reason it doesn't work yet.

Please check out

http://www.faderhead.com/blogs/mp3/faderhead_the_end_2006_demo.mp3

Any advice is appreciated!

Greetings
Sami

The toms don't sound bad, could do with a boost around 100-300Hz to give them some more balls. I think the bass drum is a bigger problem, it sounds like someone punching a pillow, it doesn't suit this style of music at all - the 'click' is really high pithced, boosting a bit lower (maybe 3-4Khz) will make it hit harder, and maybe boost the 'thud' a bit too (around 80Hz). You could try gating it too, because the low end doesn't punch. The whole drum kit needs a shit load of reverb dumped on it too - because the arrangement is so sparse it sounds odd having everything click and hit so discretely.

The vocals sound good, sounds like the guy from Cold. The verses are a bit loud and the choruses a bit quiet though. I think rather than adding lots of effects the vocals are just screaming out for a harmony part in the chorus - the key to any power balled is hundreds of vocal tracks! If you can't add harmonies, maybe try adding a tiny bit of chorus to give it some depth.

Steve

I think the kick is pretty clicky but the drum levels seem a bit out of wack for my taste. The snare and toms seem too loud relative to the guitars IMO. I'd probably add some more verb there too. I agree w/ SAA about the vocal levels. If anything you want the whole mix to get bigger at the chorus but yours shrinks a bit. I hope this is remotely helpful.

I hear what you are both saying about the relative drum levels. I guess I got kinda deaf yesterday after mixing this track for a few hours ... :)

Regarding the verb: the kit already has tons of reverb on it. I can't imagine putting more reverb on it - but I will try nevertheless and see what comes out :) ...

Regarding the harmonies in the chorus: I purposely didn't add any harmonies to emphasize the lyrics "I've lost my sole soul ..." ... the one voice with the distorted echo symbolizing the emptiness/loneliness/loss/despair ... I will try dropping the verse level a bit, though ...