Metal/Hardcore Vocals

EXPLORERBOY

New Metal Member
Nov 25, 2009
Evening, first post and that.

I'm recording my singers vocals tomorrow. I'm using a ProTools 8 rig with outboard compression (can't remember for the life of me what they are but we've got a couple at our disposal). The rest of our demo was recorded with live drums and bass and doubled tracked guitars through Eleven. Head on over to http://www.myspace.com/therabhus and give the instrumentals a listen if you want, critique them to hell too! They're only rough mixes but any advice will be appreciated.

From what I've read all over the internet so far I've been told that an SM58 -> Compressor -> DAW w/plug in compression set to SQUASH (4:1 ratio, fast attack and release, gain to taste) is generally the best idea to record screamed hardcore vocals. Anyone got any idea of what I should be looking at setting the compressor that is sat before the DAW to?

Paddy/The Rabhus

Evening, first post and that.

I'm recording my singers vocals tomorrow. I'm using a ProTools 8 rig with outboard compression (can't remember for the life of me what they are but we've got a couple at our disposal). The rest of our demo was recorded with live drums and bass and doubled tracked guitars through Eleven. Head on over to http://www.myspace.com/therabhus and give the instrumentals a listen if you want, critique them to hell too! They're only rough mixes but any advice will be appreciated.

From what I've read all over the internet so far I've been told that an SM58 -> Compressor -> DAW w/plug in compression set to SQUASH (4:1 ratio, fast attack and release, gain to taste) is generally the best idea to record screamed hardcore vocals. Anyone got any idea of what I should be looking at setting the compressor that is sat before the DAW to?

Paddy/The Rabhus

my compression settings for screaming vocals:

threshold: relative to input
attack: 0
release: 50
ratio: 20:1
gain: how ever much you need

if you've got someone with a little more of a voice than the average screamer, try the CLA stuff, its much better for vocals than a regular compressor

i use a distressor on the way in with fast-to-medium attack and fairly quick release. 6:1 and hitting it pretty hard, average 8-10db reduction. Plug-in wise after that it's a limiter and maybe more fast attack, fast release compression for extra attitude.

If you don't really know what your doing, which you most likely don't because you are asking, it would probably be better to track without the compressor. That way you don't permanently mess anything up and can experiment with in the box compressors.