mixing heavy vocals?

wow, lots of good info :D
for starters i'll try this, TLs Saturated Driver version 1.0, and experiment a little bit more with compression... i'll post something as soon as i find something that i can live with...
thx!!!

oh and most distortions i have used are too fizzy... dubbing them with the original take didn't seem to help... of i go again :)

I would say
Double, triple, quadruple,... :) track it (whatever works with the singer voice) adjusting volumes and pan so that it seems like only one track (one is louder and centered and the others have lower volumes and different pan if it works), performances have to be very tight to each other.

Compress it with a 1176 very hard with the fastest release you can get without pumping and the fastest attack without taking too much transient energy out so that it doesn't lose the strength.

Eq it to make the words or screams :lol: more intelligible and so that it fits the rest of the instruments (having the music with a darker sound and the vocals with a brighter sound doesn't work very good or the inverse IMO)

Distort 1 or more of the lower volume tracks to give a fuller sound. (It helps to bridge words better if the singer doesn't have a good natural voice for it)

Add delays 1/4 and 1/8 and a touch of reverb but without noticing it when the instruments are playing.

In the end how I see it is that when you have all the processing on you shouldn't hear it separately, but when you take the processing out you can definitely miss the processing and hear the voice weaker.

maybe not for aggressive vox, which i didn't think about before posting it. love it on clean vocals though.

Yeah, it sounds really really good on pretty much everything...but if you need or prefer to squash the daylights outta the source then the attack and release controls are crucial.

The last vocal chain I used for screaming vox was a SM7 into the Voxengo Voxformer for de-essing and some light distortion, then into a URS 1980 compressor set pretty hard. The sends were to a Waves Doubler set like a split harmonizer, a 1/8 note delay, a 1/4 note delay, and a medium plate reverb.

It's a pretty good start for heavy vocals.

for now my chain goes like this, light compression, a strong deEsser, the TLS Saturated driver driven really hard, DaTube hard, a light reverb and a light delay... all the plugs except the TLS are the ones included with cubase. and it sounds, well, better :) i'll try the pitch shifting trick tommorow, and i'll get back to you guys.
thx a lot for your help :D i've never ever mixed vocals before, and the outcome already is decent :)

I was wondering if someone would be willing to post a clip of a song with the vocals having different delays on it (a lot of people are saying on 1/8th and one 1/4 on it) and then posting just the vocals (with the delays) so I can hear what they sound like. I can't seem to get a delay to work and not sound TOO swimming in echoes. Just thought it would help me out a bit to hear.

Dude, it's on countless recordings. Turn your feedback down and that will solve your "swimming in echoes" dilemma.