affordable mic for versatile singing?

roeeby

New Metal Member
Apr 19, 2008
hey guys,
im looking to get a mic fairly quickly to lay down some demos and ideas.
my style is very versatile so for the 200$ i could spend at the moment (preferably no more) i really need it to be the best balance between being a good mic for screams and growls and a good mic for very clean singing...
i dont need it to be decent for guitars or anything at all apart from vocals.
i was thinking of getting a condenser but now im leaning more towards a dynamic mic...
would really appreciate any advice

i really like my behringer B-2 PRO. i think it was like $150.

it is a condensor - so loud vocal passages (i.e. screams) need to be monitored closely.

overall - it has a very nice, professional sound (for the price) and is excellent for softer stuff.

it can be slightly "brittle" - so i usually end up dipping in the mids for a more pleasant sounding voice. some sites also recommend a dip around 11k for this mic - but i haven't had that issue (yet).

yea, i've heard a lot of good shit about the 460...they're supposedly on par with $1,000+ mics after swapping out the tube and some of the electronics

im kind of leaning towards a shure sm-58 at the moment...
as a general question, what works better, condensers for screams or dynamics for cleans?
i mean obviously condensers are great for quiet vocals and dynamic mics are better with handling loud signals but which works better with what its not designed for?

i like the slight coloration, while maintaining clarity, that a LD condenser gives. proximity effect adds some nice character to screams and clean vocals alike. it adds some warmth that i have never achieved with a sm58. just my preference though

I got a used original SM7 from eBay for about $290 I think... I did an A/B test against the SM58, which I used to use, and it's amazing how muffled and boxy sounding the 58 is in comparison. If you can throw down a little bit of extra and get the SM7, I think it would be a wise investment for you!

WERD.
I use 58's live and in rehearsal ALL THE TIME and I have to say they really suck. I just use them because we have 4 of the damn things of course. They have like the worst proximity effect, it varys a LOT when your close to the mic. I was listening back to some live recordings yesterday and noticed this. The vocals were just super tinny unless the singer was eating the damn thing.

If your interested I've got a Rode NT1-A I could sell you for about $175 plus shipping (if your in the states). They go for around 230 new, comes with shock mount, and pouch. It's a killer sounding mic for just about any style.

+1 to the Rode, lots of people say it's bright, but I've loved it on the many singers I've used it on.