After Last Fair Deal Gone Down?

Defluo

May 2, 2006
New Zealand
Hi everyone, it's my first post here. I've been listening to Last Fair Deal Gone Down for a couple of years now and in the past 6 months have become completely obsessed with it. I'm at the stage now where I know all the songs inside out and feel ready to move onto a new record.

Which record would you recommend, with this in mind, that I get next?

For the record i'm recommending Tonights decision mostly based on similarity to Last fair deal. (Not that i don't love it, though...)

So, all post-BMD albums have been mentioned now, except The Great Cold Distance.

Answer to your question: any of the post-Brave Murder Day albums, i.e. Discouraged Ones, Tonight's Decision, Viva Emptiness, The Great Cold Distance.

No offence, but I never understand these questions of 'what album to start with' or 'what album next', I mean, if you like Last Fair Deal Gone Down so much, chances are that any other album of the band will suit your taste as well. So why ask someone else? Just go out and get the first one you can get hold of!

Cheers to you for becoming a Katatonia fan, you made a damn fine choice.

I can see where these guys are coming from but seriously.....

The Geeat Cold Distance is the album to own, whats fantastic about it is that like Last fair deal, you will eventually get obsessed with it too (like I am now). All Katatonia Albums are great and have this obsessive nature, but TGCD is one hella of an album and personally I feel is there best, no doubt.

Oh yes I can say that, for although the songs are best of Last fair deal, the pain most evident on Discouraged ones, the dark loss on Tonights Decision and the quality and skill on Viva, it all comes together beautifully on the TGCD.

The older stuff is cool but just different and although I like it its not gonna click so well with the average listener, and I know many of them who have been converted to katatonia (although its amazing how many like "Murder")

If they top TGCD is wont be surprised (katatonia are amazing for that). God i cant wait, TGCD really has stayed with me since its release.

I can see where these guys are coming from but seriously.....

The Great Cold Distance is the album to own, whats fantastic about it is that like Last fair deal, you will eventually get obsessed with it too (like I am now). All Katatonia Albums are great and have this obsessive nature, but TGCD is one hella of an album and personally I feel is there best, no doubt.

Oh yes I can say that, for although the songs are best of Last fair deal, the pain most evident on Discouraged ones, the dark loss on Tonights Decision and the quality and skill on Viva, it all comes together beautifully on the TGCD.

The older stuff is cool but just different and although I like it its not gonna click so well with the average listener, and I know many of them who have been converted to katatonia (although its amazing how many like "Murder")

If they top TGCD I wont be surprised (katatonia are amazing for that). God i cant wait, TGCD really has stayed with me since its release.

I agree fully with this. LFDGD was my first Katatonia album. I thought it was great, but it never made me become a fan. It made me pay attention to them at least. The next album I heard from them was Viva Emptiness. Hated it, because it didn't sound like LFDGD at all. The way the songs are built are much more abrupt and short...a big change in their style if you ask me. I didn't accept this at first..but when TGCD came out, a friend forced me to listen to it...and at first I got curious..because I loved some parts of it, but some parts were very difficult to accept. Again because some of the songs where much more abrupt than the songs from LFDGD. But TGCD grew a LOT on me and suddenly it was better than anything I had heard in years. I put on VE again and now it also sounded great. I later bought Discouraged Ones and Tonight's Decision which yes, is much closer to LFDGD. I would buy that one first, then Discouraged Ones...then when you feel up for a change, buy Viva Emptiness and TGCD. Murder is more when you want to get further into the history of Katatonia. It's much like buying Paradise Losts GOTHIC. A milestone in their career, but not something you might like to hear. It's a great album though, only with growls..and not a lot of Renkse. If you're into Opeth you'll like it for sure though, cause it's the Opeth singer who growls on it.

I'm obsessive only to TGCD...heh

Thanks everyone.

Getting into a band is like reading a book series, I don't want to find out too much or not understand what's going on by skipping a few. But bands don't always release their albums in succession like authors do and with Katatonia's huge shift in style also in mind, this is why I ask.

I'm still yet to decide but your knowledge has helped a lot - I'll probably go with Tonight's Decision or TGCD.

btw
Welcome to Katatonia land. Prepare to be depressed :headbang:

I actually find it to do the complete opposite.