After Last Fair Deal Gone Down?

Katatonia don't depress me in the same way that, say, Bethlehem do. I have different kinds of depression, and Katatonia fits all but the severest of them. But if I go through a long period of listening to mostly Katatonia, you can bet that I'm pretty down (and that's why I'm listening to Katatonia, not BECAUSE I'm listening to Katatonia).

I can see where these guys are coming from but seriously.....

The Geeat Cold Distance is the album to own, whats fantastic about it is that like Last fair deal, you will eventually get obsessed with it too (like I am now). All Katatonia Albums are great and have this obsessive nature, but TGCD is one hella of an album and personally I feel is there best, no doubt.

Oh yes I can say that, for although the songs are best of Last fair deal, the pain most evident on Discouraged ones, the dark loss on Tonights Decision and the quality and skill on Viva, it all comes together beautifully on the TGCD.

The older stuff is cool but just different and although I like it its not gonna click so well with the average listener, and I know many of them who have been converted to katatonia (although its amazing how many like "Murder")

If they top TGCD is wont be surprised (katatonia are amazing for that). God i cant wait, TGCD really has stayed with me since its release.
I disagree completely. It doesn't really have any real standout tracks like the other album, and It's much harder to connect. I find it to be far too monotone with not as much dynamics as the past few albums. It's still a quality cd worth owning, but I'd say the other records since Tonight's take much bigger priority. Also the EP songs were way better imo, and definitely worth checking out first.

If you're looking for similarity to LFDGD, start with Tonight's Decision and then go on to Discouraged Ones. Musically, those albums were easier for me to get into. Vocally, however, I would have to say that Viva Emptiness and The Great Cold Distance are superior to the older material. I would highly recommend checking out the media section on Katatonia's website if you want to get a feel for what each album is like.

Everything from DO to TGCD is pretty much on the same level to me, except for LFDGD, which still stands apart as the best one.

I might agree 99% with this..probably...maybe..some days...at least when it's dark outside....heh..jeez..might agree 99%...that must be 80% then? I confuse myself at times.

Hmm.. LFDGD hit a nerve with me (no pun intended). Tonight's Music sums it up. Chrome, Teargas, Future of Speech, Sweet Nurse are great songs also.

DO is simply pure depression.

TD I don't like so much. For My Demons, I Am Nothing, Strained, A Darkness Coming and Black Session stand out.

VE gets an angry overtone with songs like Ghost of the Sun, Criminals, Sleeper and Burn The Remeberance. It also shows, however, hints of more melancholy stuff like A Premonition and Omerta -> such underrated songs.

TGCD continues the aggression with a a more refined style.

If you're looking for similarity to LFDGD, start with Tonight's Decision and then go on to Discouraged Ones. Musically, those albums were easier for me to get into. Vocally, however, I would have to say that Viva Emptiness and The Great Cold Distance are superior to the older material. I would highly recommend checking out the media section on Katatonia's website if you want to get a feel for what each album is like.

Ah, I love the vocals on the new album but not so much on Viva.. But then again I love the vocals off DO much more than the others. But they are all good.

LFDGD is the ultimate Katatonia album. I think Viva Emptiness comes rather close to tho, so I'd go for that one. TGCD is my personal least favorite, I only find myself listening to the EP-tracks plus and occasional spin of the best couple of tracks from the album.