Again...

hahaha

I remember when that whole board freaked out about the whole cut/paste thing, and then in an interview Mikael said "yeah I basically cut and paste our songs together."

I think somewhere in the UM interviews, but I really don't remember.

That whole fiasco is what got me to check out maudlin of the Well in the first place, haha.

UM: As far as the music is concerned is there a process you use to write songs?

MÅ: I have no kind of pattern that I follow when I write music. Basically I play guitar like a couple of hours everyday. I just sit around with the guitar watching television or something playing at the same time. Every now or then you come up with a riff. So I kind of store everything I wrote down. I don't care to write notes or anything. I got a little 4-track recording device, but I don't know how it works, so I always write down the riff, like some kind of thing about the riff that makes me remember what it was. Like the "Metallica riff" or the "Lousy riff" or something that makes me remember. Then when I start my riff it just happens that I come up with entire arrangements or parts and sometimes I write a song instantly and sometimes I just piece it together. I went over to a friend's house this time when I had done the big parts of the music and I recorded the basic song structure. Then I just played them to the band to see what they thought about it. Then we went to the studio because we never rehearsed for it. We rehearse in the studio.
No direct quote, but this was close enough to make me laugh. I know a lot of people freak out about that but I've never understood why it matters. A song is good because it sounds good, not because of some obscure methodology, or lack thereof.

I like how most of the well-known heavy metal bands from Meshuggah to Iron Maiden write songs by pasting guitarist a's riff together with guitarist b's riff and nobody seems to mind but because Opeth are Opeth, suddenly we're supposed to pretend every song is the product of articulated composition over central themes and connecting bridges of wonderful insight

i really can't understand what is so horrible about the "glue riffs together". for me almost all bands work this way (including KD - less/motW - more) and that's it.

IMO, Opeth is better now. Some songs from Orchid and Morningrise sound like a puzzle. I really enjoy Opeth, but i'm not that blind fanboy and i have my complaints.

and remember about the promotion. due to opeth's board, now i'm here! sorry!!

Morningrise and Still Life I enjoy. The bass playing in Morningrise gives a whole different character. Vocals a little raspier. Otherwise they remain mostly unaltered. Still Life is my favourite iteration of the O'we make the same record again and again'peth of My Arms... to today.