Agalloch or Opeth?

A number of similar of elements in both bands, but the results are different to my ears. Agalloch usually maintain a consistently doomy, melancholic feel, whereas Opeth has a number of different moods in their music. They can sound progressive, aggressive, or downright sinister. They also often sound a lot more "jammy" and less orchestrated than Agalloch. I couldn't really choose between the two, but Pale Folklore is one of my all-time favorite albums.

Opeth overall though I enjoy both. As far as 'time keeping' problems go, the end of Under the Weeping Moon isn't exactly perfect. Mikael even mentions it in on their site.

I prefer Agalloch. I never really liked Opeth.

Pretentious dogshit with a few nice acoustic melodies vs. pretentious dogshit with a few nice acoustic melodies

I'm struggling with this one.

Gallantry over Docility said:
Pretentious dogshit with a few nice acoustic melodies vs. pretentious dogshit with a few nice acoustic melodies

I'm struggling with this one.

I'm not surprised. Judging from your taste in metal.

I could pick Opeth solely because I had a love affair with them yet I never liked Agalloch, but somehow I can't bring myself to choose either.

Agalloch easily. Though both bands have great collections, Agalloch has improved over time while Opeth has degraded. The topics of Agalloch's music are interesting and passionate and their overall aestetic is more appealing to me. Also having seen both bands live I can easily say Agalloch is the more moving experience. Where Opeth for the most part just replicate what's on the album, Agalloch really makes the songs into something new.

crimsonfloyd said:
Agalloch easily. Though both bands have great collections, Agalloch has improved over time while Opeth has degraded. The topics of Agalloch's music are interesting and passionate and their overall aestetic is more appealing to me. Also having seen both bands live I can easily say Agalloch is the more moving experience. Where Opeth for the most part just replicate what's on the album, Agalloch really makes the songs into something new.

I would kill to see Agalloch live.:devil:

they've been known to completely screw with songs (such as The Lodge off The Mantle) and destroy their equipment, bring out folk instruments, light incense and such

too bad I've never seen them live

Edgecrusher said:
I would kill to see Agalloch live.:devil:

I'll be seeing them in October at "The Day of the Equinox" in Toronto, sucka. Along with Green Carnation, Deceased, Woods of Ypres, Unexpect and November's Doom.