Agalloch or Opeth?

The Devil's Steed said:
That quotes don't really explain anything. I was looking for a bit more detail as to HOW they make the songs into something new.
"The Lodge" is made into a dense, feedbacky distorted guitar orgy of sorts that is pretty strange and not entirely good

"In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion" gets one of the parts ("I walked down to a river / and sat in reflection of what had to be done") worked over, being played totally differently -- fast, monotonous and with rasped vocals instead of the cleans etc.

...and so forth

Erik said:
"The Lodge" is made into a dense, feedbacky distorted guitar orgy of sorts that is pretty strange and not entirely good

"In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion" gets one of the parts ("I walked down to a river / and sat in reflection of what had to be done") worked over, being played totally differently -- fast, monotonous and with rasped vocals instead of the cleans etc.

...and so forth

Hm, sounds like bad changes to me. I guess I'd just have to see them live and decide for myself...if I ever get the chance.

Xorv said:
I'm a big fan of both, but lately I've been listening to more Agalloch, so I'll go for them.
I've been listening to Agalloch heaps lately as well. Like on a daily basis. I can't say the same for Opeth, but with their new album coming out that will change soon.
MasterOLightning said:
Oh well. Still waiting for new Agalloch material. And a website.
I am eagerly awaiting new material as well. It will be interesting to see what direction the band takes. An official Agalloch website would be cool as well. In the meantime there is www.agalloch.tk a simple but informative Agalloch fan site.
smågoth said:
Agalloch is great though, the mantle is a great relaxing album, but I fear they will move in a more postrock than metal direction.
This may not necessarily be such a bad thing.
Jreg said:
A number of similar of elements in both bands, but the results are different to my ears. Agalloch usually maintain a consistently doomy, melancholic feel, whereas Opeth has a number of different moods in their music. They can sound progressive, aggressive, or downright sinister. They also often sound a lot more "jammy" and less orchestrated than Agalloch.
I agree. I really like the atmosphere that Agalloch create in their music, and the 'mood shifts' in Opeth's music.