Agalloch - The Mantle

IcemanJ256

Dark Overlord
Apr 28, 2002
Dayton, Ohio, USA
www.amazon.com
I'm suprised no one wrote a review on this here yet

Agalloch - The Mantle[5/5 Stars]
An Epic Journey like Nothing you've ever heard before.

First of all, I don't know what genre this fits in. It's a mixture of so many different elements. But why bother shoving into a certain category? It would not possibly describe where this cd will take you. There is lots of acoustic and electric guitars at the same time, sort of like Opeth, which makes for an interesting sound. In some parts of the album 3 guitars are used at once, and the use of upright bass is nice and something you don't hear too often. The guitar work seems very inspired by folk music but with a dark twist. The songs are quite long with mostly instrumentals, and reminds me Opeth's "Orchid" in the way that you get "lost" in the beautiful atmosphere, but with a more haunting, depressing mood. In this CD, the vocals are mostly clean unlike their first release. Haughm has a good and unique singing voice. There are also harsh raspy black-metal style vocals which are also done well, but this is not really black metal at all.

The CD starts out with a nice introduction with acoustic guitars and transforms into the 15 minute epic "In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion." Next comes the incredible instrumental track "Odal" which just sends shivers down my spine every time and has a great piano outro. "I am the Wooden Doors" Is a more aggresive song that has a short but very sweet acoustic solo. "The Lodge" really gives you the feeling of venturing through a snowy forest, with its "deer antler" percussion and sounds of someone trudging through deep snow. This is another chilling acoustic instrumental track and did I mention I love the use of the upright bass. "You Were But a Ghost in My Arms" is a emotionally grim song with poetic lyrics and mostly harsh vocals. "The Hawthorne Passage" is another long instrumental track, keeps changing throught the song and has some interesting samples. "And the Great Cold Death of the Earth" is probably the most accessible or most memorable song, and certainly more upbeat after hearing the vast song before it. And finally we have "A Desolation Song", a very sad song but a good way to close the album, and uses some unique instruments such as the mandarin and accordian.

Definately pick up this CD if you like Opeth, (not that they try to copy Opeth's style) or any type of progressive metal or rock, or even if you don't, this CD could get you interested in a lot of other bands and is very interesting itself. I can't get enough of it. I don't see anyone not liking this CD, there aren't that many harsh vocals, it has a nice variety, and combines many different genres together and forms them into the band's very own unique sound. It just gives me a feeling like no other album has before.

Originality: 8
Creativity: 9
Organization/Structure: 9
Diversity: 8
Emotion: 9
Enjoyment: 10
Guitar Work: 9
Bass Work: 8
Drum Work: 7
Vocals: 9
Lyrics: 8
Production: 10
Musicianship: 10
I really cant think to make any numbers lower.

This album just got slammed by SSMT. Still, thanks for the review - the CD is on the way to me at the moment, and I should have it soon which I'm looking forward to very much!!

Originally posted by Devy_Metal
SSMT?

Pardon the ignorance...

My fault, I should have posted a link.

Does anyone agree with his review (Chedsey's), or is the consensus that it's a great album like most review sites have said??

Oh, get over yourself, Smeckermann. People will make up their own minds about the site. You're still seething because you made a fool of yourself.

Incidentally, there will be a second review of The Mantle posted in a week or two since it appears to be an album that will either be loved or hated by whomever listens.

John

I actually like the album a lot. Given, I don't think it is better than Pal Folklore, but still very good.

Who cares what SSMT thinks. Does John's review affect the way you look at the album? Hm?

Wow cool I did not see this review already here. You gave it a really good review and seems we agree. Previously I had read several reviews that were less then apeasing but hey thats why it's good to take reviews with a very very tiny grain of salt.