Agalloch - The Mantle

Well, as much as I love Agalloch's The Mantle, Im going to have to cut down all of this praise. Sure, they are good, but it seems like their songs are very droning, and they dont sound too much different from song to song. Not to mention the fact that I dont think that guy should be singing, his growling rasp sucks, and his clean voice sounds like he's 12 years old. Just my opinion, but I do love this album a lot, but I dont think they are anywhere near Opeth albums such as Still Life or My Arms, Your Hearse, Im sorry.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Well, as much as I love Agalloch's The Mantle, Im going to have to cut down all of this praise. Sure, they are good, but it seems like their songs are very droning, and they dont sound too much different from song to song. Not to mention the fact that I dont think that guy should be singing, his growling rasp sucks, and his clean voice sounds like he's 12 years old. Just my opinion, but I do love this album a lot, but I dont think they are anywhere near Opeth albums such as Still Life or My Arms, Your Hearse, Im sorry.
Disagree, I think his growling rasp and his clean vocals are awesome

Well, then we have very differing opinions, a great clean voice is Daniel Gildenlow, or Dan Swano, but the clean voice of this guy is barely decent by my standards.

Very very good album indeed. The music is depressing, I love it.

Agalloch are NOTHING like Opeth. The vocals fit the music especially the clean vocals. It sounds more folk and choir like, very surreal sounding as well. The song writing is less catchy than Opeth so it is abit harder to get into than Opeth. Awesome band nonetheless.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Well, then we have very differing opinions, a great clean voice is Daniel Gildenlow, or Dan Swano, but the clean voice of this guy is barely decent by my standards.
Gildenlow is good, but there are certain songs where i don't like his voice at all. Swano is great

I don't think Haughm's vocal style would work very well in any other band. But the whole whisper style thing he has going on works for Agalloch perfectly. And those distant sounding clean vocals he does are just awesome.

Erik said:
People who compare Agalloch to Opeth really just lack better points of reference. Agalloch is clearly different and also clearly the superior band compositionally.

You are exactly right my friend, perhaps if I needed to compare... Opeth might be a good variable, but they are their OWN style. And it is beautiful.

I just heard 2 of their songs yesterday. I'm still undecided. I need to hear a couple more tracks before passing judgement. But the only way to do that is an album of theirs which I will probably do next hall. Their song "kneel of the cross" didn't impress me to much. Atleast the first 3 minutes which is the same lyric repeated over and over. Is this one of their weaker songs that I heard? If their albums are half as good as Opeth's I'll be pleased.

P.S Dan Swano's the fucking man!

AllWithinMyMonster said:
I just heard 2 of their songs yesterday. I'm still undecided. I need to hear a couple more tracks before passing judgement. But the only way to do that is an album of theirs which I will probably do next hall. Their song "kneel of the cross" didn't impress me to much. Atleast the first 3 minutes which is the same lyric repeated over and over. Is this one of their weaker songs that I heard? If their albums are half as good as Opeth's I'll be pleased.
Kneel to the Cross is a cover, so it doesn't give you an idea of their songwriting capabilities. Just go to the End records website and download "A Great Cold Death of the Earth" and "Dead Winter Days"

I just wrote an extreemly long reply about this album, explaining why it means so much to me, but I pressed "Reply" and it said I wasn't logged in, and deleted the whole thing. Well I know for a fact I was logged in, so basically I'm very very pissed rightnow. Maybe I'll rewrite the whole thing later, but for now i'll just say this is a truly amazing album that grows on you more and more over time. Anyways it's definatly one of my favorite albums ever, and means a lot to me personally. Has anyone heard the "Tommorow Will Never Come" or "Grey" EPs? They sound very promising, I can't wait to hear where Agalloch goes with thier next album...

None_So_Vile said:
The Mantle is a bloody awesome album, masterpiece. Another masterpiece that you guys would probably like is Forest Stream - Tears of Mortal Solitude
I'll second that. Very good stuff, in a simlar style to Agalloch, definatly recomended, though I don't consider it a masterpeice, they still have a ways to go before they reach that level...

Well i went to theendrecords.com crimsonfloyd. I heard 2 songs. They sound good and I'll definetaly pick up a copy of their album "the mantle" as soon as I can afford it. But first and foremost I must get a copy of tempo of the damned \m/. I was planning on getting about 15-20 cd's this week. But I had to play personal politician and enforce some budget cuts on myself.

misfit said:
yep a mate of mine told me he loved it, so i went and got it.

excellent atmospheric music i find. compositional quality is great too.

opeth are better though ... heh

^^^^^