Agalloch - The Mantle

Esteban

Thinking is overrated
Dec 28, 2002
Costa Rica
Visit site
I got this album like four months ago, and after 3-4 listens I threw it with the records I hardly ever listen... thought it was boring and uninspired... oh man I'm so embarrased I did that....

About a month ago I picked it up again, and right now I'm sure every single song on that album is perfect, the lyrics, the music, the feeling of despair and sadness... i've read many reviews of their stuff where people compare them to Opeth... I like Opeth but forget it, they haven't released an album close to the perfection of The Mantle.

I've only heard one song off that album but it totally rules. I might have to order it because I can never find it in stores.

One of my top 5 albums ever, amazing stuff. I have to listen to it in sucession though, I can't just pick one random song and listen to it, it's kind of like a story that must be listened to in its entirity (sp?) from start to finish.

More like earlier Opeth, with much better songwriting. They also sound like early Ulver at times. I like their style. It's so hopeless-sounding. And the folksy guitar work really owns.

Not to mention they're American. TEH WIN!

None_So_Vile said:
The Mantle is a bloody awesome album, masterpiece. Another masterpiece that you guys would probably like is Forest Stream - Tears of Mortal Solitude
Never heard of it before, tell me about it...