Agalloch - The Mantle

satanistical

Screaming Gargoyle
Apr 10, 2002
San Fran
www.gargoyledawn.com
Agalloch – The Mantle (The End Records)

When I first sat down to listen to this Portland, Oregon trio it was pretty late at night and I had worked a 14 hour day. Needless to say I was not in the mood for the smash your head into the wall metal that I usually throw on when I get home. I needed something to just get lost in and drown in for awhile. Well I made a good choice buying this sophomore release from Agalloch – The Mantle. I was able to just get lost within each songs melancholic tones and cookie monster vocals. I can’t say I have heard anything really like this before, though the feeling I get reminds me of listening to Opeth’s Orchid, and some pink floyd. Each song seems to fade in to the other song without any noticeable breaks like you get in most albums. The production is well done and I did not hear any abnormalities or flaws. Each song has its own definitive feel and emotion and the acoustic guitars are crystal clear(hence good production). I went into this album with no opinion or expectations and found I really enjoyed it and I would recommend it. It’s good to hear something like this coming out of the pacific northwest… it’s obvious most bands are type casted with that horrid time in the mid ninties…dare I say “grunge”?

– Satan.