Agalloch

It just strikes me as odd, as I rarely see them come up. Ever. Anywhere, aside from NPR (which I still think is strange.) ... but if you guys say so.

The whole thing about NPR still puzzles me... :lol: Who would have thought...

But yeah man, Agalloch is really popular. It's amazing how easy they sell out shows. Granted, many are small shows, but still packed houses nonetheless.

It just strikes me as odd, as I rarely see them come up.

That validates what I said about Agalloch coming from a different sphere; it's not surprising that they aren't one the radar of the average ProgPower fan, since the average ProgPower fan has a fairly narrow radar, and Agalloch doesn't show up in those bands.

I know everyone likes to hate on last.fm stats (since they may conflict with their own arbitrary beliefs derived from no information at all), but as *one* data point, here is how Agalloch stacks up against the top 4 bands of this year and next year in terms of last.fm listeners:

Epica: 372,012
Therion: 303,920
Symphony X: 221,371
Agalloch: 206,986
Ihsahn: 57,164
Pretty Maids: 53,783
Forbidden: 51,122
Redemption: 36,886
Sanctuary: 28,543

Neil

What's with all these posts about Agalloch being good live? They were so bad when I saw them and most of the live videos I've seen online range from OK to laughable.

Epica: 372,012
Therion: 303,920
Symphony X: 221,371
Agalloch: 206,986
Ihsahn: 57,164
Pretty Maids: 53,783
Forbidden: 51,122
Redemption: 36,886
Sanctuary: 28,543l
No big surprise for me. I like Agalloch better than any of these bands except for Symphony X, and there are some truly awesome bands listed in there.

That's probably one of the most idiotic things a musician can do on stage.

I know, right! That's why it was so awesome, since there is nothing idiotic about Agalloch. Seeing a short-haired, bespectacled academic flip right the fuck out into this horrible rock'n'roll cliche, in a manner that didn't feel cliched at all, is exactly the sort of thing that makes for a great and memorable performance.

Neil

First time I saw 'em (at the same show zekeyou mentioned in 2005), Don Anderson literally smashed his guitar to pieces.

'nuff said!

Neil

I drummed for a local band whose guitar player did this at a gig. The body of the guitar separated entirely from the neck and flew backwards right at my face! Fortunately my ducking reflexes were in good shape or I would probably look a little different these days.

Agalloch were fantastic live when I saw them this past year.
Some of the best atmosphere Ive experianced at any show.

RIP, Agalloch.

From their Facebook page:

"
Agalloch - The Official Page
https://www.facebook.com/AgallochOfficial/posts/10154268288083606
Following 20 years, 5 full length albums, many tours around the world, and numerous other recordings, John Haughm and the rest of the band (Don Anderson, Jason Walton, and Aesop Dekker) have parted ways. What the future holds for the separate parties remains undetermined. We collectively thank all of our fans across the world. There are also way too many other people to thank who made this band possible. You know who you are."
https://www.facebook.com/AgallochOfficial

Haughm posted some additional details. Still sounds bleak, but there's a sliver of hope that he continues on with new members:

After being inundated by a barrage of responses, I feel that I should clarify some things. I take full responsibility for the decision to part ways with the other guys. It was difficult, well thought-out, and something that had been culminating over the past couple of years. I simply could not continue any further with the band as it was. I had to make a change as my motivation and inspiration had started to completely deteriorate. Whether this is the permanent end of Agalloch altogether or a possible fresh start, I don't know. I probably won't know for awhile. The band has simply been reduced back to its founding, visionary member for the first time in 20 years. Beyond that, the future is unknown.

- J. Haughm