Age Vs Credibility

I gave up my dreams of stardom when I was 25, but not because of age. I had friends in a band that had gotten signed, and after seeing them get screwed over by their record company, I realised the music biz wasn't a very nice place to try and make a living.

Playing music is still important to me though. I doubt I'll ever quit playing - until I bite the dust.

'bane

Fuck, I'm 33 and I still wanna be a rock star when I grow up! :headbang:

Seriously though, I have never given up playing/writing/creating. I don't have a band anymore but that's okay, I play my music my way. There isn't much of a scene here anyways.
I will still shop my demo around in the spring/summer (once it's done) but I will probably release it myself or thorough a small local record company by the fall. Once they hear it they will have to! :D If things go well, then I'll hire some guys I know to do some shows. Otherwise I'd be content writing and recording in my little basement studio. Now that I finally got one.
I'm not expecting to be the next big thing in metal, just the biggest thing in my little world. That's good enough for me. Like someone said before - as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

bestwestranger said:
have been trying to get a band together for the past 3 years, but nothing has panned out. I play primarily rhythm guitar, and I am 31
Do not worry about age. More age, more points of view about music.

Nuclear Vampire said:
Fuck, I'm 33 and I still wanna be a rock star
Congratulations, do not give up.

Shit dude, my favorite singer (most here won't know who he is) is Andy Kuntz of Vanden Plas. Vanden Plas has been my favorite band for about six years now (prog/AOR metal) and I always thought Andy (the voacalist of course) had a nice voice. However, despite being 41 years old Andy is incredibly "better" than he was two releases ago and it's not studio wizardry. The "old dogs" can learn new tricks and in fact have maturity and experience that the younger ones don't. The lack of "drive" and the "adult life" is what usually bogs down the older guys.
Singers aren't the only examples. Going back to classic metal: If you listen to Wolf Hoffmann and his progression as a player from "Balls to the wall" to Metal Heart" which are consecutive releases, it is amazing. Wolf wasn't so young then either. Age shouldn't be a factor, just practice till your fingers bleed !!

Bryant

bang on bryant.i've been playing in bands for about 14 years now,i'm 31 and the stuff i'm doing now is just about the best i've ever done-that goes for the rest of the boys with me.its a little slower than what we used to play,but far more structured.so really,age brings maturity in your music-dont worry about getting older,as long as you enjoy it.

baldyboy said:
bang on bryant.i've been playing in bands for about 14 years now,i'm 31 and the stuff i'm doing now is just about the best i've ever done-that goes for the rest of the boys with me.its a little slower than what we used to play,but far more structured.so really,age brings maturity in your music-dont worry about getting older,as long as you enjoy it.
That's right. Age brings experience. When I think back to some of the bands I played in and the music we were playing (not our expertise, but our style) were pretty laughable. I don't play in a band and am really not interested in playing in one, but I still play and don't see stopping anytime soon.
Music should be played as an artist and for a passion for the art. When it grows into something that is not that (that's not to say money isn't important as we all have to eat and pay bills as many do play music for a living) then the art is lost. I also don't think there is an age for that. Les Paul, for example, though best known for designing the famous Gibson Les Paul guitar, was still performing live up until his late 70's and was an innovator in guitar designing because he was an innovator in guitar playing and the guitars on the market just didn't meet his demands.

Bryant

i dont think you should worry too much about your guitar skills, just do what feels natural to you. all you need is a friend who plays the required instruments that you dont play, and just record at home and put out songs on the internet, its what im doing at the moment with my band, which is only myself, guitar, and keyboard. in my opinion, dont try to hard to sound like something else, instead try to feel the music out, which usually will end up most of the time with you saying "fuck, this sucks" but there will ALWAYS be moments where you are 100% you wrote something awesome