Agile Baritone what strings?

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
I have an older agile ab3000 baritone that I got recently and want to swap the stock pu for a emg 81 and throw new strings on. Will be tuning in B and A...from ur experience what strings?

Good question. I'd like to know as well. I also have a question regarding the same guitar.

The strings that came with this guitar are thick. (for me anyways) How thin a gauge can I get away with without it playing and sounding like total poop?

Details:

Scale length: 28"
Tuning on this guitar is B,E,A,D,F#,B
GHS String sizes are 1st: 013, 2nd: 017, 3rd: 026, 4th: 036, 5th: 046, 6th: 060

I've never understood why baritone guitars always ship with huge strings? The whole point is to be able to tune down WITHOUT NEEDING to up the string gauge, since the scale length will allow you to tune the strings lower at the same tension...

You could probably throw a set of 11-49s on a 28" scale guitar tuned to B and it'll still have about the same tension as the same strings on a Fender scale guitar tuned to standard.

I play an ltd viper baritone, and prefer the 14-68 set to the 12-62 light baritone set.

I wouldnt recommend using light strings on a baritone. although longer scale length increases the tension, it doesnt just mean that you can throw tiny strings on there and get a heavy sound. smaller strings will still feel like spaghetti. If you throw on a 14-68 gauge set, it will feel like 9-42 in e tuning. If you go light on the string gauge your guitar will sound weak and girly and wont have the tight pitch that bigger strings give you. too much bwaaaaooooooooowwww

Yeah, at my suggestion (as I was using the same logic) my roommate got 11-49's for his 27" Viper Baritone tuned to C-standard, and they were still way too wimpy (thus much apologizing was in order :D) - on a 28" neck, I'd say a 56 for the low B and 59 for the low A would be about right

Thanks Adam...yeah I'll get some EB 11-49's and try that out. Socialnumb do you still have the stock pu in? Do you have the older version or newer version of this model?

Wasn't aware that there was an older/newer version. I think I got it in OCT 06. What's the difference? Yes, I use the stock PU's. I don't do teh metulz and I'm not a tone nazi. ;)

That being said, I have toyed with the idea of throwing in some EMG's

Look's like I'm going to try out various money wasting gauges since the opinions are all over the place. :lol:

What strings do you use in what tuning on what scale length currently? Go find an online string tension calculator and then just figure out what you'd need to come close to the same tension in your tuning of choice on the 28" scale.

I've never understood why baritone guitars always ship with huge strings? The whole point is to be able to tune down WITHOUT NEEDING to up the string gauge, since the scale length will allow you to tune the strings lower at the same tension...

You could probably throw a set of 11-49s on a 28" scale guitar tuned to B and it'll still have about the same tension as the same strings on a Fender scale guitar tuned to standard.

These baritones are only adding another fret or two in length. The longer scale length doesn't mean you can use 10s in fuckoff-flat, but they help in other ways as well.

A Fender scale (25.5") is going to be reasonably close to that baritone capoed at the second fret. With that in mind, you'll need to replace that B with a D if you want to match the tension.

OP... how is anyone supposed to answer that question without knowing how tight you want your strings? Plenty of companies make baritone string sets, and you could just go with what came with the thing... or you could tell me what tension you want your strings to have so that I can tell you what kind of custom set to put together.

Jeff