Agile baritones......

C_F_H_13

Protools Guru
Mar 21, 2006
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
so I already read a few threads...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/579396-rondo-music-any-good.html

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/272937-looking-baritone-any-suggestions-2.html

But I'm wondering what people think of the Agile baris? I'm thinking about getting a AB-3000 or 3500 for the studio. Only reason I'm getting a baritone and not a 7 string is most guitar players I've met (who don't play metal) hate playing 7 string guitars.....and they hate the thicker necks....

Anyone got one? care to share thoughts? or any other Baritones that are CURRENTLY SOLD NEW?

The fret spacing on a baritone can screw people up pretty bad that aren't used to it. You're better off with a 25.5" scale guitar with some thick strings, at least in my opinion.

I love rondomusic.com. I have one of their Agile AL-3000's with EMGs that was discontinued, and it's MUCH better than any Les Paul I have ever played.

That's a really good point man, but right now we're renting one that's a 30 scale every time we need it. So either way guitar players have to deal with different spacing no matter what.

This guitar would be tuned down to A or even G#....you really think you could do that low of a tuning with a 25.5 scale without crazy tuning problems?

That's a really good point man, but right now we're renting one that's a 30 scale every time we need it. So either way guitar players have to deal with different spacing no matter what.

This guitar would be tuned down to A or even G#....you really think you could do that low of a tuning with a 25.5 scale without crazy tuning problems?

A will be fine for 25.5 inches.
Korn have been doing it since the 90s, has worked for them fine.
G# is also okay. SikTh used a low G#, with one of the guitarists even playing a PRS with a 25 inch scale and it was fine.
But any lower and you absolutely need a longer scale length.
I don't care what the guys that play 25.5 inch scale 8 strings say about the low F# strings sounding good, IT SOUNDS LIKE FUCKING ASS.
G and lower = 26.5 inch scale AT LEAST

A will be fine for 25.5 inches.
Korn have been doing it since the 90s, has worked for them fine.
G# is also okay. SikTh used a low G#, with one of the guitarists even playing a PRS with a 25 inch scale and it was fine.
But any lower and you absolutely need a longer scale length.
I don't care what the guys that play 25.5 inch scale 8 strings say about the low F# strings sounding good, IT SOUNDS LIKE FUCKING ASS.
G and lower = 26.5 inch scale AT LEAST

Hmmmm....Thanks guys!

I've been playing a 25.5" scale guitar for the past 6 months. If I switch back to my Agile Les Paul, I play like shit, and it's only 3/4 inch difference.

You really get used to the tension and the feel of a certain scale length, especially your picking hand. Thanks, muscle memory :lol:

I dunno, it could be just me, but I think I can hold my own playing on a 25.5" guitar. If someone knocked that down or up by an inch, it can screw you up!

one more question about playing in G or A on 25.5...

Even with heavier gauge strings, don't you still find the strings a little flappy? I'm not a guitar player, but even my POS schecter tuned to B with a zakk wylde set is pretty loose feeling compared to tuning lower with same gauge strings on the baritone....

Just curious what others think....

Even with heavier gauge strings, don't you still find the strings a little flappy? I'm not a guitar player, but even my POS schecter tuned to B with a zakk wylde set is pretty loose feeling compared to tuning lower with same gauge strings on the baritone....

On my 26.5 scale 7 string, I'm using a 60 string for the low B, and even when its tuned down like half a step or one step down to A it feels a bit flappy, I wish I had a longer scale guitar haha

I think the biggest factor is how hard you hit with your right hand. I have a heavy picking hand, so I could never get a standard length axe to go down as far as A or B without getting too much "bwaaooooooww" switching to a baritone solved the issue immediately

I have to say I agree with you on this subject, although I must admit I have never really spent very much time playing "high quality" instruments. Most of my playing has been done on guitars that cost less than a grand new. maybe A really well crafted guitar with a 25.5" scale length sounds great tuned down to A, but my Rg`s just cant handle the extra tension that a lower gauge string puts on the neck.

True! It all depends. I had an Agile Interceptor 27" 7 string, and while it did take me a few minutes to adjust, after that it was fine. Going back to my 25.5" 6 stringers made them feel tiny :lol: But, I of course got used to them pretty quickly.

But I'm wondering what people think of the Agile baris? I'm thinking about getting a AB-3000 or 3500 for the studio.

I was recently looking into an Agile baritone as well; instead of a 7 string. I've been without a 7 string for quite sometime now and have been looking at alternatives. A local guy that I know has one of the Mike Mushok PRS SE models that I had the chance to play a few weeks back and I quite liked it, but figured I'd check out other options and came across the Agile. Both are about the same price brand new - this is one of those times I wish I could try out the Agile one a bit before committing to it.

I was recently looking into an Agile baritone as well; instead of a 7 string. I've been without a 7 string for quite sometime now and have been looking at alternatives. A local guy that I know has one of the Mike Mushok PRS SE models that I had the chance to play a few weeks back and I quite liked it, but figured I'd check out other options and came across the Agile. Both are about the same price brand new - this is one of those times I wish I could try out the Agile one a bit before committing to it.

yeah I took a look at the SE too (looking, not playing it). Unfortunately I played the signature model from the creed dude in the SE series and hated it...so I still have this bad taste in my mouth about the SE series (I understand this is totally ridiculous)....A buddy of mine has the Mike Mushok Ibanez from a few years back and that thing slays....so if the PRS is anything similar I might have to consider that too...