AIC new album?

Deadline

Aug 30, 2006
Costa Rica
I know for most of the people Alice in Chains is not a metal band, however, I think Facelift and Dirt had a lot of influences in Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, so that´s why i submit this thread here... Anyway, whats your opinnion about this new singer and the album comin out soon?, thank you:kickass:

Looking forward to it. If new AIC is half as good as Jerry Cantrell's solo albums, then I'll be happy.

it will probably be good but its a stupid idea to replace layne. this isn't like ac/dc or iron maiden who were not a hugely successful band and replaced a singer. its not like iron maiden (again) or van halen where the singer supposedly left on his own free will. layne died and that should have been the end of AIC

it will probably be good but its a stupid idea to replace layne. this isn't like ac/dc or iron maiden who were not a hugely successful band and replaced a singer. its not like iron maiden (again) or van halen where the singer supposedly left on his own free will. layne died and that should have been the end of AIC

I'm not sure I get you. Bon Scott died. If the difference is popularity at the time then I still don't get it.

It will be no different to me whether they call it AIC or something else. I look forward to it.

It will be no different to me whether they call it AIC or something else. I look forward to it.

Only difference is that they'll sell a lot more albums by having AIC on the cover, instead of some other new name.

I know for most of the people Alice in Chains is not a metal band

They most absolutely were. The first 2 records were quite heavy (especially facelift). They were certainly the most metal of the big 3 (Soundgarden and Pearl Jam).

Anyways, I think it can be decent. If it's at least as good as the lackluster S/T CD, I'll be happy.

I'll buy it and hope for the best. I'm not too fond of Cantrell's solo stuff. He's not a good solo artist, I like him better in the supporting role. He provided great background vocals, excellent riffs and co-wrote some classic stuff...with Alice In Chains.I'm curious how he works with Duvall, will it work as well as it he did with Staley? We'll have to wait and see...

I'll buy it and hope for the best. I'm not too fond of Cantrell's solo stuff. He's not a good solo artist, I like him better in the supporting role. He provided great background vocals, excellent riffs and co-wrote some classic stuff...with Alice In Chains.I'm curious how he works with Duvall, will it work as well as it he did with Staley? We'll have to wait and see...
Gotta disagree with you on that one -- I thought both of his solo albums were brilliant.

I'm not sure I get you. Bon Scott died. If the difference is popularity at the time then I still don't get it.

when bon scott died ac/dc had just broken through from cult band to a mainstream band. if ac/dc had been a hugely successful band for 6-8 years before bon died they shouldn't have replaced him either.

if jerry cantrell said something like "layne has until 2003 to get his act together or we'll continue without him" then i wouldn't care but it seems to me like they just waited around until layne died and then reformed AIC.

when bon scott died ac/dc had just broken through from cult band to a mainstream band. if ac/dc had been a hugely successful band for 6-8 years before bon died they shouldn't have replaced him either.

if jerry cantrell said something like "layne has until 2003 to get his act together or we'll continue without him" then i wouldn't care but it seems to me like they just waited around until layne died and then reformed AIC.

Fair enough. I see what you're getting at but I disagree. In my opinion it's up to the artist(s) to make that call. It's up to us fans to decide whether it bothers us enough to not buy the product.

Like wdiv said, it'll certainly sell better with the AIC brand on it. If it's a business decision then so be it. The business side of things kinda sucks sometimes.

Fair enough. I see what you're getting at but I disagree. In my opinion it's up to the artist(s) to make that call. It's up to us fans to decide whether it bothers us enough to not buy the product.

Like wdiv said, it'll certainly sell better with the AIC brand on it. If it's a business decision then so be it. The business side of things kinda sucks sometimes.

i feel thats the only reason they are calling it AIC

Im not a huge fan for some reason though some songs stood out well. Layne had one awesome set of pipes. I dont see where it matters that they go under the AiC name, it is a good business decision and when they tour they will no doubt be playing many of the older songs... so that in itself makes them AiC.

I haven't heard his solo albums, but Anger Rising was a fantastic song. That ranks among his finest works - AIC or otherwise. That song could have been in AIC and no one would have been the wiser.

I've always thought Cantrell was a great all around guitarist. Not a shredder, but he had quite a unique writing style.

Anger Rising was a fantastic song. That ranks among his finest works - AIC or otherwise. That song could have been in AIC and no one would have been the wiser.

Right I agree. I felt ripped off when I bought that album based on the strength of that song alone. It did in fact sound very closer to AIC. I remember the firast time I saw AIC they had yet released their debut album but opened up Clash Of The Titans. They came out as a three piece. Jerry handled the guitar and vocal duties for the first verse of "Man In The Box" then from the side stage comes Lane! He must have been in the toilet with his rig because he was late! Anyway they didn't miss a beat. Impressive.

Right I agree. I felt ripped off when I bought that album based on the strength of that song alone. It did in fact sound very closer to AIC. I remember the firast time I saw AIC they had yet released their debut album but opened up Clash Of The Titans. They came out as a three piece. Jerry handled the guitar and vocal duties for the first verse of "Man In The Box" then from the side stage comes Lane! He must have been in the toilet with his rig because he was late! Anyway they didn't miss a beat. Impressive.

I saw them that year too. Opening for VanHalen "F.U.C.K" tour. I knew I was listening to something different and was kinda impressed. They didnt fly really well with the typical commercial metal fans, I'm not saying nobody found some merit to it but most seemed to have the "WTF?" look on their face. It was different... and the rest is history.

They could record tons of albums with the new vocalist, even sell millions. But, IMO, no Layne, no Alice In Chains. A totally personal voice. I don´t see any substitute for him. "Dirt" is one of the best albums from the 90´s. Masterpiece.