Airline tix - for those who are waiting for good prices..

Happily, I earned enough miles this spring to pay for my flight, which is a relief, and I booked it early enough that I didn't get stuck with crazy hours like I did the last time I did this.

Booked my flight today. Sucks to fly from Quebec, Canada where it's so expensive. I paid $563 ($62 more than last year) with Air Canada and the bastards even charge a fee to select seats in advance ($26 I think). No way, I'll take what I'll get and hope for the best...

Now, I can't wait till September!

Got my tickets Tuesday. DFW-ATL for $216 round trip. That's a bit cheaper than what I paid last year (and I could have gotten the flight for $206, but spent the extra $10 to get a later afternoon flight knowing that I'll need the extra sleep on Sunday morning.)

(and I could have gotten the flight for $206, but spent the extra $10 to get a later afternoon flight knowing that I'll need the extra sleep on Sunday morning.)

Worth EVERY penny! I think I booked a 10 or 11 a.m. flight out on Sunday my first year. A newbie mistake that I won't make again! :lol:

I normally don't buy this early, but this was slightly cheaper than what I got it for last year, and it'll give some separation between this bill and the massive Artmore bill that will drop on me in two months. lol.

We decided to take an earlier flight than usual and get in at 9:45a on Wednesday so we can actually relax or maybe do something touristy. Then we'll leave at 2:15p on Sunday.

Only three months to go!!

Are you saying that you had too much fun and couldn't get out of bed? :lol:

Steve and I figured that out the first PP as well. We always do afternoon flights now AND take off the next day from work to recover. :)

I'm old. I *always* have trouble getting out of bed, fun or no fun. :lol: I find that two days off post-PP is ideal if you can swing it - one to sleep and one to catch up on laundry, grocery shopping, etc.. Have limited vacation with my current job, so making due with one!

Wow, I have never taken off the day after ProgPower. I guess some people are so flush with time off that they can do that, but I have a tough enough time swinging the days for the full run.

I'm also one who made the mistake at my first PP in Atlanta to have an 9am flight the next day. Never want to do that again.

I get *lots* of vacation time - the only perk I have left at my job, really, so I routinely fly home on Monday and don't go back to work until Thursday. I don't really *have* to do it that way, but I might as well since I get so much time.

Maybe I just need to accept that flying from DC is going to be expensive, because it seems like we never get good deals to Atlanta anymore.

Tell me about it. Used to be could get flights pretty cheaply, especially flying out of Richmond. The prices actually went UP since I last check. Back in April, I was finding non-stop roundtrip flights from Richmond for around $270. Now, I cannot find anything cheaper than $320. It did not seem too long ago when I could find just about any flight for less than $200 (in one year I got them for like $110).

I looked into the feasibility of taking the train, but the schedule just does not work out. There is typically a huge layover in Charlotte, N.C. (apparently to pick up another line that goes into Atlanta).

I looked into the feasibility of taking the train, but the schedule just does not work out. There is typically a huge layover in Charlotte, N.C. (apparently to pick up another line that goes into Atlanta).

I've actually done Amtrak twice for ProgPower and it has worked well for me, basically leaving about 7PM the day before and arriving at 8AM. The problem for you is that train starts off going west before heading south, going through Manassas and Culpepper.

I've actually done Amtrak twice for ProgPower and it has worked well for me, basically leaving about 7PM the day before and arriving at 8AM. The problem for you is that train starts off going west before heading south, going through Manassas and Culpepper.

Instead of leaving directly from Fredericksburg, it would actually make more sense to go up to D.C. and catch the train there. Another option would be to take the VRE commuter train up to D.C. that Tuesday morning and then catch the overnighter Amtrack to Atlanta and vice versus. However, that would require hanging out in D.C. plus the train does not leave Atlanta until like 8 PM. That would require hanging out for most of the day until getting the correct train. For two people, it would be $550 roundtrip (still cheaper than the flights as they are currently going)

Would be interesting to try, but still, flying is so much more convenient, but if the airlines continue to really jack up the prices, I may have to give the train another serious consideration.

Edit - update! Found a non-stop roundtrip flight on Delta for $218 from Richmond to Atlanta, and the perfect times as well. Time to go book! I don't think I am going to get anything cheaper at this point.