Aja's monitor system

red7of9

May 29, 2004
www.inadenney.com
Aja, you posted on another thread something about bring your own monitor system, but I couldn't remember which one it was, so I started a new one....Anyway, I have often thought of doing the same thing. Perhaps you could share what you use. Do you have to plug into their system, or do you bring your own PA? What exactly do you bring with you to they gig?

Always happy to talk gear!! I use a Lexicon MPX 110 dual processor, so I can get reverb as well as a little delay. The reverb is sooo nice, very rich. I run it through my Mackie mixer(an 8 channe, I believe it's the 1204l) and have it set up so that I get a line out of the mixer to my JBL Eon(it's a 15") which has an independent volume control as well as tone control so I can control my volume and adjust my eq without affecting the house. (the Mackie eq I run flat for the same reason). I send the house a dry line out so they can control the house. I just love it, it sounds really great and makes singing such a pleasure. I still need to experiment with it some more, as there are sometimes compatibility issues with some systems, but I've also been getting great advice from our tech Chris, as well as from Michael Kenney on options for how I send it to the house and thus relieve stress on soundmen. ;) I don't mean to make it hard on anyone, it's not a personal judgement on the ability of the soundmen, but I do know what I want to hear. It makes such a difference in the performance, IMO. My next wish list item is for in-ear monitors so I can take it on the road!!!!

Would that be the 808M powered mixer by Mackie? If so, is there ever an issue of overloading the power source? A JBL 15"......that makes me laugh. We use to use those for sidefills!! Those babies put out some sound. You don't have to ask guitar players to turn down do you...lol!!! I have a 406M FR 2x250 watts Mackie it's only a 6 channel, so if you are using the 808M, I'm sure I could use this and there would be no concern of blowing fuses. I have Yamaha monitors, but they are only 12" speakers and no independant volume or tone controls. I could see how that would make things soooo much easier to sound check yourself.....even being able to adjust during the show. Cool!!!!!

red7of9 said:
Would that be the 808M powered mixer by Mackie? If so, is there ever an issue of overloading the power source?
No, it's the 1204. It's the little brother of the 1604. It's very compact but has a lot of features. I've never encountered a problem with power but I'm sure it depends on the venue. I don't use it on every gig, especially the traveling ones. Local shows mostly. That's why I want in-ears, so much more portable!!!

red7of9 said:
A JBL 15"......that makes me laugh. We use to use those for sidefills!! Those babies put out some sound. You don't have to ask guitar players to turn down do you...lol!!! I have a 406M FR 2x250 watts Mackie it's only a 6 channel, so if you are using the 808M, I'm sure I could use this and there would be no concern of blowing fuses. I have Yamaha monitors, but they are only 12" speakers and no independant volume or tone controls. I could see how that would make things soooo much easier to sound check yourself.....even being able to adjust during the show. Cool!!!!!
Yamaha's are great, too, but it's nice being the master of your own destiny. Mine goes to eleven! :lol:

red7of9 said:
Would that be the 808M powered mixer by Mackie? If so, is there ever an issue of overloading the power source? A JBL 15"......that makes me laugh. We use to use those for sidefills!! Those babies put out some sound. You don't have to ask guitar players to turn down do you...lol!!! I have a 406M FR 2x250 watts Mackie it's only a 6 channel, so if you are using the 808M, I'm sure I could use this and there would be no concern of blowing fuses. I have Yamaha monitors, but they are only 12" speakers and no independant volume or tone controls. I could see how that would make things soooo much easier to sound check yourself.....even being able to adjust during the show. Cool!!!!!

<**Delurk**>
The speaker Aja is using is the JBL Self Powered EON 15. It has a built in crossover, 2 seperate amps (100 watts for the 1 inch horn and 300 watts for the 15") and can take both 1/4" (unbalanced, hi-Z) and XLR (balanced low-Z) inputs. If you have more than one , you can daisy chain them with an XLR cable to give you more coverage.

The best part is that it has JBL amplifiers inside with a crossover designed to work with the speakers. Though they will probably deny it they also do some selective EQing inside the box.

Most of the powered mixers have rather low quality amplifiers designed to work well for either low volume acoustic stuff or speaking engagments. They can get loud but the quality suffers severely.

Personally I prefer the sound of the new 10" EON. It is clearer to my ear and since I don't like a lot of lows in my monitors (keeps the mix clearer and more defined) the 10" is more than adequate. It is plenty loud and it is lighter to boot. Did a video premier outdoors at a local university and we were getting complaints from homes several hundred feet away and the only thing pointed that way was a single 10" EON!

Self Powered monitors are a great way to go if you don't have a lot of room for racks and gear. The down side is if one of the amps goes :hotjump: you are screwed until you can get it to a shop. The amps are not field servicable or replaceable.

I doubt the amps in your mackie could do any damage to your Yamahas, I used a variety of Yamahas for years and never had a problem (except when I mis-wired a cable and sent the lows to the horn and melted the driver!) I would highly recommend getting a graphic EQ for each seperate monitor mix with at least 15 bands (2/3 octave), 31 is much better(1/3 octave). This way you can cut just the frequencies that give you trouble and get more gain out of your monitors without feedback. If you do get an eq, I recommend not using it to boost frequencies (or at least as little as possible) as that is trying to add something that is not really there.

If you have any tech questions please feel free to PM me so we can keep the boards clear for the Maidens stuff!

Up the Irons!<**Lurk**>

metalord said:
<**Delurk**>
If you have any tech questions please feel free to PM me so we can keep the boards clear for the Maidens stuff!

Up the Irons!<**Lurk**>
Aw, Chris....you're too thoughtful, but this is all music related and most subjects music related are fine here. Besides, I'm sure there are a lot of tech head lurkers who like reading such knowledge! I'm a non-tech head and it's a very interesting read! ;) It makes me even that much happier to have you on board our "team Maidens"! :headbang:

Thanks for the more extensive breakdown on the tech side, Chris, that's why you ARE the MAN and I am the SINGER!!! :D I could never keep all these specs in my head (I'd have no room for lyrics!) but I always learn something new from ya and that's a beautiful thing! Thanks for sharing!
BTW, did ya know I have the 10" also? :p I have a feeling we'll be talking about this at the next show..... ;)