Stereo System?

Mountain Man

Blow It All To Hell!
Feb 24, 2002
West Virginia
In the near future I will be buying a nice compact stereo shelf system. I’ve been looking at JVC and Aiwa models. The majority of the music I’ll be listening to on this system will be metal. Does anyone own the Aiwa system with the turntable included? I’m looking into this model. Anyway, do you guys/girls have any suggestions on systems? I’m looking foe a powerful one. Thanks

:)

At home i have a Bose Lifestyle 28/35, which is rather good as you can imagine :D

On the other hand, at Uni (where i am 90% of the time) i have a bog standard, £130ish Aiwa. It's sufficient i guess!

I can't really encourage you to buy one of those midi systems (radio, tape, cd & maybe turntable). I had a Schneider once with those four things in it. A little under a year after I bought it, the tape started fucking up, but that was only very rarely, so I didn't take it to the shop to have it checked (it still had the warranty). A half year later, both of the tapes were fucking up, the record player sounded like shit and the whole system sounded like crap!
In these systems the turntable always sound like crap, has a bad needle and so on. If you're into vinyl you should get your hands on a good record player. You should pay a fair amount for a used one and get a Thorens or a Linn. I have a Thorens TD-126 MKIII Centennial including a EMT MCH 63 needle and arm, which I paid 1000 Kroner (approx. $133) for. That was pretty cheap as the record player itself had costed 10.000 Kroner (approx. $1330) and the needle had costed 5000 Kroner (approx. $665)!!!
A Linn is usually a little more expensive as a used, but I don't think it's that old. My Thorens was bought in 1986.
The amp, speaker and such is also important. If you don't wanna spend that much that's okay. I have a Sony midi system now, but I wanna get a better one. I think that after a while you'll grow tired of a cheaper system if you listen to music all the time like I do. Aiwa isn't particularly good. JVC, Kenwood & Pioneer might be a little better, but if you're willing to pay a little more, I think you can get much better equipment. Bang & Olufsen (B&O) is really expensive, but I don't feel you get what you're paying for. My parents have a stereo by B&O and our TV is also B&O. It's a good looking design, but that's also what you're paying for. You don't really pay for the sound, just the design. I don't look with my ears, so why should I pay humongus sums for something that looks good, but doesn't sound that well? I don't know if it is anymore, but at least earlier it was just Philips shit that was inside B&O and just put the designed fronts on it!
I'm not an expert on this shit, so I advice you to go talk to some who are!

I have a Philips which is pretty decent. My parents are the "TURN THAT SHIT DOWN!" type, so I gotta use headphones and my JVC's are excellent. The only complaint I have is why do they make some stereos out there that play tapes perfectly, some that play them a little high, and some that play them a little too low. I have one that plays it a little too low and I've gotten used to it. The only time I feel it's crap is when I hear a song from the radio that I have on tape and it's like, "wow, it's back to original speed again, oh joy." I mostly listen to cds and mp3s anyway, thankfully