Stereo System

Interesting.
I didn't bother to tell him I don't use any other channels than the two front. There's no power being wasted to surround speakers unless I hook them up. The sub has a seperate 100 W amp. Thusly, seems completely pointless to buy a stereo receiver. Just buy a 5.1 or 7.1 and hook up two speakers. When the time comes, hook up the other speakers if you want. When listening to music, turn everything off except for the two fronts.

I need an easy hookup between my PC and stereo, so the lack of coax/toslink on 2ch receivers does annoy me. They carry stereo signals fine too (optical), so I'm just going to assume that if I don't hook up rear speakers, or yeah, turn them off (I never did turn them on except for films anyway) I shouldn't have a problem.

NAD, that getup will give you nice warm bass and killer dynamics. Onkyo with Infinity is a great match for the type of music you listen to.

Break the system in over the next few weeks and get back to us.
I've had it for a few weeks now, haven't really blasted anything yet, but it seems to sound better each day. I know some claim you're supposed to do a specific break-in thing but I never bother, an opinion/method that was reinforced due to a conversation I had a year or so ago, purchasing a pretty snobby bass cab from the builder himself:

*extremely loud volume, rocking the fuck out*
"This sounds killer, I'll take it. Do I need to break it in?"
"You just played it at gig level."

:tickled:

Oh yeah, concerning surround v. 2-channel, I would rather have a quality 2-channel for a similar price as a cheap surround unit. Plus, well, I hate surround sound. :loco:

@ dorian and Capn Crunch ... realistically if you spend $300 or so, you should be able to get something really good.
NAD's amp is in that range, but you can get even a decent 5.1 rig for the same.

there are so many variables in stereo equipment that it can drive you mad, but really with today's technology they are all pretty great.

@nad ... yeah, break-in is not about blasting it, but rather about just playing the speakers for prolonged periods and keeping the amp warm ... sounds like audiophile mumbo jumbo, but speaker break-in definetely works and is audible over time.

$300 is about what I want to spend, so this works well for me.

As for break-in, I'm aware, as my Sennheiser HD-595 headphones took about 30 hours to loosen up, same for my bookshelf BIC America DV62sis for my tube amp.

I debate whether to get floor speakers or another set of DV62s and toss in a nice self-amp'd sub.

I used to like the bulk of floor standing speakers, but as i got older I value my space more.
both setups have their plus and minuses, but I would say floor standers work best in larger rooms and if you are really going to push them sonically.

yeah ... Integrated amp means, amp + preamp but no radio (tuner) ... but also cleaner sound as no interference from radio waves.

hahahah ... back in the days I used to own the very speakers in this pic ... they were about $3k a pair but got them for about $400 in a sales contest.

except unlike in this photo, i had them in a room about 7' x 11' ... sonic overkill needless to say

163_48_big.jpg

bass sucked on them though, or maybe the sound wave did not get a chance to fully generate in the room!?!?!?