Stereo System

3 years later and the following changes have been made:

Work: same
Home: Playstation 2 through the same (now 13 year old) Aiwa shelf system with a broken CD player.
Car: stock Subaru 6-disc 6-speaker with shitty bass response

Oh and I now own a Sony Discman and an iPud.
1.5 years later and:

Work: same (8 year old boombox now)
Home: 1 year old boombox / old Discman with crumbling headphones / barely used iPod
Car: stock Subaru 6-disc 6-speaker with shitty bass response / stock Dodge AM/FM radio with 1 functioning speaker

I am considering getting a fancy/expensive/loud stereo with turntable but since finally emerging out of the stupid American cycle of debt I've become MegaJew so I think my shitty headphones will still make due for the time being. What's the point of high fidelity when 90% of my favourite albums are purposely underproduced?

hahaha ... yea ... they still make them ... found on eBay and also in small hi-fi shops ...

get one of their power amps ... they are schweet ...

Yeah so I joined the 20th century just recently and got this:

h108P362-f-1.jpeg
h580TX8222-fp.jpg
h108P362-f-1.jpeg

It sounds freakin' genius, and didn't cost too much. The receiver is 2-channel with no stupid fucking bullshit XM, mp3, iPud or other faggotry, which is exactly what I wanted. Now I just need a phonograph and I'll be set, until the PS2 borks itself at which time I'll have to invest in a DVD/CD thingy I suppose.

awesome. Awhile back I asked why 2-channel stereo receivers still exist and no one could tell me. Yamaha makes a couple that cost more than some of their more powerful 5.1 receviers. What's the deal?

Yeah so I joined the 20th century just recently and got this:

h108P362-f-1.jpeg
h580TX8222-fp.jpg
h108P362-f-1.jpeg

It sounds freakin' genius, and didn't cost too much. The receiver is 2-channel with no stupid fucking bullshit XM, mp3, iPud or other faggotry, which is exactly what I wanted. Now I just need a phonograph and I'll be set, until the PS2 borks itself at which time I'll have to invest in a DVD/CD thingy I suppose.

How much all that run you?

My ancient sony receiver is finally starting to die out so I'm gonna need a new 2ch soon. The speakers sound like they may be starting to go as well, though, it may be the receiver just screwing everything up.

$679 total, well under what I planned on spending. Hopefully it'll last 10+ years without any difficulty. It used to be all electronics could be purchased with that assumption (if not greater), it seems stereo components are still that way but I'm not sure.

Thankfully musical instruments still last several lifetimes, one of the few things that hasn't gone over to the Dark Side of Disposability.

What are the speakers exactly? My next system will be 2 channel, more to save space, but also because it's easier to play with as far as settings... If you like it enough, I'll get one meself maybe.

NAD, that getup will give you nice warm bass and killer dynamics. Onkyo with Infinity is a great match for the type of music you listen to.

Break the system in over the next few weeks and get back to us.

Yeah, so can anyone answer my damn question? Why buy a 2-channel amplifier? Yamaha makes an 11.1 receiver for goat's sake. I mean, I can see getting a 2-channel if you're NEVER going to have surround sound or a subwoofer, but seems like a bad idea to me.

well, 2 channel amps do the 2 channel biz much better than a 5.1 or 7.1 at the same price.

inexpensive surround amps, draw power from the 2 main stereo amps / capacitors what not, to feed power to the surround channels.

there is a sonic compromise ... but then again for metal ... well, whatever :loco:

Thanks yo!
The only problem I see with that is there's no way to hook up a sub. I don't know about y'all but when I turn the sub off, and just go pure stereo, it's not so impressive.

Well he said inexpensive ones draw power from the fronts to the rears, so I was wondering that if the midpriced and more expensive ones don't do this, where "inexpensive" stops and becomes mid-range.