11. Becoming The Adversary
12. Goddess Flesh

Label: Earache
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://www.akercocke.com/

GRADE:
10/10

Man, did Earache score one here! That sounds funny, doesn't it? Instead of praising AKERCOCKE for landing a deal with the legendary UK extreme label, I'm doing the opposite. And Earache should be proud, as AKERCOCKE are a gifted bunch of musicians and have created Chronozon, a release that may very well be in the final running for that top spot in Papa's Top 25 of 2003. Not to mention countless lists of other writers, I'm sure.

Their previous release, The Goat Of Mendes, only touched the surface, folks. Chronozon, mixed by the ever so capable Neil Kernon, is AKERCOCKE at their apex, the pinnacle of what they're about. My wife refers to them as "Satan Booty Music," the recurring theme of Satan and naked women apparently "stupid and cliche." I say to hell with that, these guys are my cup of tea and I dig the whole distinguished suit bit, too.

"Praise The Name Of Satan" is a blastfest, however, it shifts moods a bit as well. The second track is more of an interlude, coming off as some sort of ritual instrumental. "Leviathan" is in my Top 5 song list for 2003, this song is the epitome of everything I truly enjoy about this band. The riffs that sound inspired by RUSH, the constant, yet super tight changes in the song structure, the dreary vocals, this one never fails to amaze me. Oh, how I wish I could witness this live! Where's an AKERCOCKE dvd, dammit?!?

"Enraptured By Evil" sees the band shift back to a straight up death metal assault, the guttural vocals sounding ungodly. Also, check out the blast beat over the clean guitar, nice touch. this track is also a personal highlight. The title track is a two minute swell of feedback and other sounds that lead into "Valley Of The Crucified." Again the clean vocal is employed, to a haunting effect before going into the growl. There are some really great moments rhythmically on this song. One thing I've noticed is the more "epic" nature of this album in comparison to their previous two releases.

"Bathykolpian Avatar" not only has an interesting title, it also features some of the albums most disorienting moments sonically, too. Words can't really explain it, I think it is something that must be experienced, not explained. The next one is another interlude, like MORBID ANGEL and CRADLE OF FILTH, they seem to have an affinity for these. "Scapegoat" begins like SLAYER and goes straight for the jugular, slicing and dicing with razor sharp precision. Not since SUFFOCATION's Effigy Of The Forgotten have I heard such guttural vocals.

"Son Of The Morning" will probably be one of those WTF moments for some of you. Personally, I find it genius and really enjoy the direction they are going in. Just when you think they can't possibly outdo themselves, well, I'll be damned if they don't. "Becoming The Adversary" was up on their website for months and was one of the two songs that I've been able to sink my teeth into for sometime now. The finished song is incredibly brutal and it's great to finally get to hear it on a real stereo and not just my computer! Be sure to check out the insanely sick and twisted guitar solo about halfway through. "Goddess Flesh" is, yes, you guessed it, an outro! Well, not completely, it has vocals, but it has that "outro" feel to it, know what I mean? It ends the disc on a trippy kind of vibe.

Man, oh man, Top Spot 2003.... AKERCOCKE, VITAL REMAINS, AKERCOCKE, VITAL REMAINS, AKERCOCKE, VITAL REMAINS, AKERCOCKE, VITAL REMAINS, AKERCOCKE, VITAL REMAINS, AKERCOCKE.....

PJ