Akercocke -- "The Goat of Mendes"

Slynt

Lord and Liar
May 31, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Just bought Akercocke after hearing so much good about them.
It's a bloody brutal album, too brutal for my taste, and the sound isn't really good either.
Anyhow, there's still something about it.

Really helpful eh?
I haven't had the patience to listen through the album too much.

I would like to add some additional comments after having listened to the album today. My initial impressions (brutal, bad sound) have been replaced with a more positive view of the CD.

While the first track is as brutal as it gets, the next tracks become more progressive, and include more variety. The album gets more and more exciting.

I have discovered why Akercocke has been given so good reviews now, and I believe it will continue to grow. There's a lot of potential in Akercocke.

While I'm an atheist, I still don't like too gruesome, satanic lyrics, and Akercocke have no problem with writing cruel lyrics. There's a lot of "Satan" screaming on this disc, which I think distracts from the more professionally wrought music.

The first track isn't very melodic, it's brutal as hell with a lot of blast-beat drums and the most incomprehensible death growls I've ever heard,

but from track 2 and onwards there is melody. Not so much as is common in bands such as Cradle of Filth perhaps.

I think it's a combination between black metal (howling vocals, satanic lyrics, blastbeat drums, certain riffs), brutal gore/death metal (growls, heavy riffs) and a little touch of avantgarde ideas (clean vocals with melody, reminds me a *little* of Arcturus).

I didn't like it at all when I first heard it, but it keeps growing, so I recommend you to check it out but perhaps you should listen to it at a record shop a few times (not only one time) if you're unsure.

Yeah, there's a video track digitally on the disc too. Probably the same song, but I can't remember the song title right now (perhaps it was "Infernal Rites" or something like that) - if it's the same song, I would still recommend to listen to the rest of the album (esp. tracks 2-4) since it's better.

I watched the video track on the CD yesterday, it was indeed for "Infernal Rites", it was a rather cheap looking video (clearly made by the band without much help I'd think), but it was cool.

I DON'T think we'll see it on MTV anytime soon, though...:)

I did indeed :) It was quite good wasn't it. Those were three rather charming young ladies ;) I also like the Alaas song on that cd and the dragon lord? I think it was. Force of Hatred the last track was good as well. I didn't really like the others that much

Yeah, Alas' vocals were amazing. Dragonlord - I love cheese :) That was so tacky and Kitsch I had 2 love it! :D I like quite a bit of electronica, but as u well know, I draw the line at ultra violence and sleep deprivatrion ;) Its amazing how often they come up as examples of bad music!

You have the answer :cool: Thats what they're here for. Actually it was really funny, one of my friends who thinks "being goth is cool" etc. u know the typre - its always one phase after the next, shunns al music that doesn't fit into that weeks image etc. etc. Well I played her some sleep deprivation (as u do for a laugh) and she was like "wow this is so so cool, I must get some" :D It was so funny!!! Oh, how you would have loved it

Originally posted by godisanathiest
Yeah, Alas' vocals were amazing. Dragonlord - I love cheese :) That was so tacky and Kitsch I had 2 love it! :D I like quite a bit of electronica, but as u well know, I draw the line at ultra violence and sleep deprivatrion ;) Its amazing how often they come up as examples of bad music!

if you buy the alas album you will be shocked at the 2nd song (awful/wierd) but i presume we are talking about the terrorizer cd, good video though. playing chess and as soon as you know it women start crowding around:lol: , why wont that be on MTV? i got a dirty look talking about that video on the bus by an old lady:lol: . oh well, ive seen Akercocke live and i cant say they were good, i wasn't impressed at all. just an image thing i think. although i do like that terrorizer song, wicked riffs. and i dont like Nadja or whatever its called though.

there were loads of alas cds in HMV last time i was there. but i can suggest 2 better bands which im sure youve got their albums already, the gathering and lacuna coil, all they need to do is sort out their lyrics, very poor in comparison to other bands.

I've got some Lacuna Coil already, I jus didnt like the vocals that much. The Alas' are amazing, and when I compare them to the Lacuna Coil ones I have..... But when I have some money (along with the many others cds I have to buy) I'll get that!