Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Akercoke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
Earache - MOSH322CD - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

akercocke_words.jpg

Anyone who searches through the UltimateMetal archives for opinions on Akercocke's previous couple of releases will rapidly gain the (quite accurate) impression that I'm something of a fan. So, I was pretty damn chuffed when the British progressive/extreme metal act's latest opus fell through my letterbox. Now, while there was obvious progression between 2001's Goat Of Mendes and 2003's Choronzon, I still wasn't prepared for the quantum leap the group have made here.

From the opening moments of first track 'Verdelet', you'd think that Akercocke have gone for a pared-down, straight-forward death metal approach (an impression strengthened by the presence of new guitarist Matt Wilcock of The Berzerker and by Neil Kernon's solid, professional mix). However, as the song (and, indeed, the album) progresses, Akercocke's widened horizons become ever clearer. Jason Mendonca's clean vocals now share almost equal space with his insanely low bellows and screeching wails for one thing! As well as this, though, the songwriting scope of the group has blossomed to amazing proportions. Take the gorgeously uplifting mid-point of album highlight 'Shelter From The Sand', all slow-burning melody, arpeggiated piano and guitar lines, expanding to a hugely sublime crescendo before diving straight into an utterly prog-tastic passage. Or 'Lex Talionis''s Eastern-tinted, contemplative and dramatic acoustic lead-off to the album. Or the two-part album centrepiece, 'Words That Go Unspoken (Part 1)' and 'Intractable (Words That Go Unspoken Part 2)', an exhilarating blend of catchy melodies, stomping rhythms, savage blast-sections, atmospheric segues and everything in between.

Don't let the above paragraph fool you into thinking that Akercocke have gone soft, though - the guys still blast for Satan with a viciousness (and velocity) that packs an even harder punch when balanced against the relatively more placid moments. Matt Wilcock's ridiculously fast lead guitar work deserves special praise too - very different in style to his predecessor's 'straining at the leash' chaotic fret-work, but managing to fit right in with Akercocke's expanded aesthetic perfectly.

Overall, then, the boys have done it again. This is an ambitious, impressive album, epic in its scope and worthy of the highest praise for hitting all of its targets. Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

9.5/10

Official Akercocke Website
Official Earache Records Website

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I fucking hated Choronzon...will I like this?

probably not ...

this disc was a nice surprise indeed.
instant and memorable ... complex and worthy of numeorus listens.

just genious.

IMO, this is just as much prog rock as death metal. Nobody else is really doing anything like this...one of the most unique bands anywhere right now.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I fucking hated Choronzon...will I like this?

Depends what you hated about Choronzon, really - on this release, the production is fuller (particularly the drum sound, which is almost identical to Nile's Annihilation Of The Wicked, also produced by Neil Kernon), the leads less chaotic, the prog component significantly expanded but also more seamlessly intertwined with the death/black segments, and the structures overall are tighter.

Nothinggod said:
These guys are sellouts. They are just making pop songs to sell to the masses.

Yeah, there are a lot of 8 minute plus songs with guttural vocals, satanic lyrics and advanced song structures on the pop charts these days...:Smug:

well, the only album i got is "Goats of Mendes"... and it's somehow dissappointing 4 me... they felt overly average, having only some good songs in their release.. but regrding this review and the reactions.. seems i should take a look at their new work ;)

dill_the_devil said:
Depends what you hated about Choronzon, really - on this release, the production is fuller (particularly the drum sound, which is almost identical to Nile's Annihilation Of The Wicked, also produced by Neil Kernon), the leads less chaotic, the prog component significantly expanded but also more seamlessly intertwined with the death/black segments, and the structures overall are tighter.
I actually hate the drum sound on this album compared to Annihilation of The Wicked. It sounds totally computer made and unnatural, while on Nile's latest well... it was less noticeable at least.

AsModEe said:
I actually hate the drum sound on this album compared to Annihilation of The Wicked. It sounds totally computer made and unnatural, while on Nile's latest well... it was less noticeable at least.

Horses for courses... :) The first thing I thought when Verdelet kicked in was 'holy shit, the drumming sounds like Nile's last one', so I guess the impression kinda stuck with me. :)

I never liked any of their albums too much, but this one is pretty damn good. I can always do without the CoF vocals, but the clean vox are good. The intro track is pretty sweet.

Dr. Abner Mality said:
Yeah, there are a lot of 8 minute plus songs with guttural vocals, satanic lyrics and advanced song structures on the pop charts these days...:Smug:

Satanism is hip and with all the speed kids are doing these days 8 minutes is nothing.

mechanic drum sound sucks really, it takes all the catchiness in their sound . beyond that minus, this album is pretty avantgarde and extraordinary. it reminds me a bit of dark millenium(germany) from early nineties. interesting and worth to buy album.