AKG C1000's for overheads...

TTOS

Feb 12, 2007
Southampton, UK
myspace.com
I've got a couple of C1000s that I use for overheads, For recording I'm pretty much 'internet taught' so I'm always looking for new ideas. From the picture hopefully you can see my mic placement. On mixdown I hard pan left and right. It sounds ok but I'd really like a little more stereo seperation. Would using a mic bar and x-y ing the mics close together right above the kit be any better? It really sucks being the drummer and the engineer, I can never try anything out from the control room! I need to find myself a drumming volunteer...

oheads.jpg

I've got a couple of C1000s that I use for overheads, For recording I'm pretty much 'internet taught' so I'm always looking for new ideas. From the picture hopefully you can see my mic placement. On mixdown I hard pan left and right. It sounds ok but I'd really like a little more stereo seperation. Would using a mic bar and x-y ing the mics close together right above the kit be any better? It really sucks being the drummer and the engineer, I can never try anything out from the control room! I need to find myself a drumming volunteer...

oheads.jpg
i feel your pain man
im also the drummer/engineer of my band
i used Oktava Mk012's for overheads
a sample track can be heard here
www.fromtheabyss.com/overheads.mp3
i've tried X/Y and it just doesnt cut it compared to a spaced pair.

Yeah, forget the XY thing. Maybe move the mics a little closer to the kit...? I used the C1000's (the body was dark grey) on the first band that I ever recorded many moons ago.