AKUSGBDIASKHFDBAISBDASD

Apology accepted.

Their kickstarter video was pretty cool, but I did cringe a bit when Jason said he'll be making metal without any of the various -core elements, when it was the -core fad that made his music popular to begin with.

Only because they were on Solid State though. So many hxc4christ kids fanboy that label. I mean, BTA never really did the whole chugchugchugchuggitychugchug chug chuuuuuuuggggggggggchugggchugchugchuuuuugggchug BREAKDOWN chuggitychugchug stuff. Except for maybe on their newest album, which isn't BTA imo.

Yeyeye! The new band should've changed their name, this is down right deceiving.

But you're right, they never did the whole -core routine and that's what made them good in general, but I still think Jason's vocals were more -core than anything metal, and I will forever miss Aletheian, that band could've achieved so much more.

I like some harsh vocals, his are that dry generic sounding vocals reminding me of a whole hoard of older Swedish DM bands. He doesn't seem very dynamic after listening to 4-5 songs, but still isn't bad at all.

I wish I could get into aggressive vocals...

I'm glad I never will.

If I could have your attention for just a little while, I'd like to attempt a feat.

Here's 3 songs which I usually send to friends if I try to get them to like melodic death metal, or anything with harsh vocals really.

Amaranthe, a pretty poppy band whose tri-vocal combo might stir your fancy if you like music which is easily absorbed.

DivineFire, a good blend of melodic death metal and power metal, with the main focal point being Christian Rivel's grandiose voice. This song works its magic by making the listener feel at home with the music, accepting its power metal nature with the first minute and a half and when Jani Stefanovic's growls finally come in you have no choice but to go with the flow.

And lastly my all time favourite band:

Gardenian, who is a melodic death metal band whose 3 albums all differ in key aspects. I choose this song because it has one of the vilest sounding growls I've ever heard (and the one that got me into melodic death metal). Eric Hawk is singing the clean parts and the best part is the growl actually repeats the same lyrics Hawk sings in the first part of the song.

Sorry for the off-topic, I hope at least someone finds this interesting.

Note: Only DivineFire is a Christian band, although the other two don't show any signs of intolerance towards religion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard of Divinefire; I always wished they just stuck to clean vocals.

The problem is, no matter how good the music is, it would always be better without the growlies. I tolerate it sometimes if the rest of the music is really awesome. Otherwise I listen to something else.

I don't think I will ever understand people who enjoy terrible power metal vocals (I'm looking at you, Gamma Ray) but dislike harsh vocals.

I don't think I will ever understand people who enjoy terrible power metal vocals (I'm looking at you, Gamma Ray) but dislike harsh vocals.

:lol: I suppose Kai Hansen is an acquired taste. While Gamma Ray is certainly not my favorite band, I do enjoy a lot of their stuff, including Kai's vocals (which I think are vastly improved from when he was fronting Helloween way back when).

As far as harsh vocals, I can tolerate and even appreciate them in doses. I like Divinefire, Adagio, James LaBrie's solo albums, and others that have mixed some harsh vocals with clean vocals. I think the small amount of growling in Threshold's "Slipstream" elevate the song to a whole new level of awesomeness. To me, harsh vocals are like pepper. They can accent the flavor of the song when used sparingly, but too much is just sensory overload for me.

:lol: I suppose Kai Hansen is an acquired taste. While Gamma Ray is certainly not my favorite band, I do enjoy a lot of their stuff, including Kai's vocals (which I think are vastly improved from when he was fronting Helloween way back when).

As far as harsh vocals, I can tolerate and even appreciate them in doses. I like Divinefire, Adagio, James LaBrie's solo albums, and others that have mixed some harsh vocals with clean vocals. I think the small amount of growling in Threshold's "Slipstream" elevate the song to a whole new level of awesomeness. To me, harsh vocals are like pepper. They can accent the flavor of the song when used sparingly, but too much is just sensory overload for me.

Funny you compared it to pepper, because like harsh vocals, I like A LOT of pepper.

Funny you compared it to pepper, because like harsh vocals, I like A LOT of pepper.

:lol: And I hardly use pepper at all... Harsh vocals have grown on me over time, though. Years ago, any hint of growling used to automatically turn me off. Now I don't mind them. I just can't take an entire song of them most of the time. :)

I didn't like harsh vocals at all, until I tried some Slechtvalk again and the lyrics got me. Big fan ever since, also of the harsh vocals. :)

Yes, Yes I can. Anyway, the more I listen to this album the more I like it. Several of the songs straight up just sound like Aletheian songs while others sound like BTA songs. Not to mention the very clear influence they got from Extol on several riffs. It's a freakin' great album.