Album of the Year...... so far?

I'm liking the new Arch Enemy a lot!

Never been a that huge a fan but I definitely prefer the newer stuff and Doomsday Machine is no exception. It's not sounding as commercial as Anthems of Rebellion and the solo are the most ripping I've heard Chris and Michael do.

Incidentally, Chris isn't going to be touring with the band which is a bit of a shame.

Ive seen some great albums on here but so far Nothing and I MEAN NOTHING has even come close to BRAINSTORMS LIQUID MONSTER. Def. my album of the year pick by a long shot. Only things that could mildly come close to it are
The new Obituary when i get it and the new NEVERMORE. I was waiting on the new Inflames but its been delayed.

LIQUID MONSTER WIPES THE FLOOR WITH THE NEW JUDAS PRIEST.

The new SOAD record is awesome. These guys just keep making music that's so goddamned original it's not funny, and they deserve the credit they get for it. Yes they're a commercial metal band but if you judge them only on their music, they are great imo.

Karnivool - Themata, These guys are a west australian metal/alt band who have been around the local scene for quite some time now. There debut LP, themeta came out earlier this year and i picked it up the other day. Fucking awesome, sorta toolish, but quite original too. Even more impressive seeing these guys are a local band :headbang:

I so agree with this:

"This Godless Endeavor" may just be the most complete and musically accomplished NEVERMORE album to date. Quite a pronouncement, I know, especially when considered in light of a classic like "Dead Heart in a Dead World". However, as with any NEVERMORE album, repeat listens to the 57 minutes of "This Godless Endeavor" reveal layer after layer of metal majesty and beautiful song craft. Time will tell whether it will be considered the best of the bunch. It's a superior effort to "Enemies of Reality", an album that got more negative criticism in some circles than it should have due to Kelly Gray's muddy production (the Sneap remix on the limited edition is far superior). Incidentally, to say that "Enemies of Reality" is somehow a sub-par metal album is laughable; it just happened to come after "Dead Heart in a Dead World". Anyway, fans will be pleased to hear that Sneap is back in control on "This Godless Endeavor".

At almost an hour of music, "This Godless Endeavor" may be a filling meal, but it's also a satisfying one. A masterwork shouldn't be one that is completely understood after one listen anyway. My first reaction to the album was that it didn't boast immediately catchy songs like "Inside Four Walls" and "The Heart Collector" from "Dead Heart in a Dead World" or even the title track and "I, Voyager" from "Enemies of Reality". Once again, one must be patient, as the classic NEVERMORE dark melodies are everywhere. "Final Product", "Born (The Retribution of Spiritual Sickness)", "Bittersweet Feast", and "Medicated Nation" overflow with vintage NEVERMORE songwriting, all conveying that unexplainable feeling of sorrow, even despondency, characteristic of an album like "Dreaming Neon Black". Spin this one a few times and you'll be hooked, no question about it.

Letting up on the gas pedal at a few points along the way, some of the album's most stunning moments occur on the somber, ballad-esque diamonds "Sentient 6" and "Sell my Heart for Stones". The piano and acoustic guitar on the former make the seven-minute track an especially moving experience. Few bands can so effortlessly pull off these kind of melancholic pieces without making it feel as though an intermission has been taken until the hyper-crush begins again.

It's almost a waste of time to applaud the six-string wizardry of Jeff Loomis and new permanent member Steve Smyth, as anyone that's heard the last few NEVERMORE albums knows that the riffing is monumental and the soloing will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. If it's shredding you seek, look no further than the monster soloing on "The Psalm of Lydia"; the words "holy" and "shit" are sure to roll off your tongue. And yes, the rhythm section of drummer Van Williams and bassist Jim Sheppard is both colorful and devastating. Getting back to the axe swinging, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that one James Murphy (formerly of TESTAMENT and DEATH) lays down a solo on the minute-and-a-half instrumental "The Holocaust of Thought".

Coming to the end of our journey, the album-closing title track is also its longest. At almost nine minutes of tension builds, speed bursts, and overwhelming intensity, to call it an epic would be a gross understatement. After traveling through 48 minutes of sheer NEVERMORE bliss, it's an extraordinary capstone to what will end up a serious contender for album of the year.

:worship: :headbang: :hotjump:

tattooedsean666 said:
I so agree with this:

"This Godless Endeavor" may just be the most complete and musically accomplished NEVERMORE album to date. Quite a pronouncement, I know, especially when considered in light of a classic like "Dead Heart in a Dead World". However, as with any NEVERMORE album, repeat listens to the 57 minutes of "This Godless Endeavor" reveal layer after layer of metal majesty and beautiful song craft. Time will tell whether it will be considered the best of the bunch. It's a superior effort to "Enemies of Reality", an album that got more negative criticism in some circles than it should have due to Kelly Gray's muddy production (the Sneap remix on the limited edition is far superior). Incidentally, to say that "Enemies of Reality" is somehow a sub-par metal album is laughable; it just happened to come after "Dead Heart in a Dead World". Anyway, fans will be pleased to hear that Sneap is back in control on "This Godless Endeavor".

At almost an hour of music, "This Godless Endeavor" may be a filling meal, but it's also a satisfying one. A masterwork shouldn't be one that is completely understood after one listen anyway. My first reaction to the album was that it didn't boast immediately catchy songs like "Inside Four Walls" and "The Heart Collector" from "Dead Heart in a Dead World" or even the title track and "I, Voyager" from "Enemies of Reality". Once again, one must be patient, as the classic NEVERMORE dark melodies are everywhere. "Final Product", "Born (The Retribution of Spiritual Sickness)", "Bittersweet Feast", and "Medicated Nation" overflow with vintage NEVERMORE songwriting, all conveying that unexplainable feeling of sorrow, even despondency, characteristic of an album like "Dreaming Neon Black". Spin this one a few times and you'll be hooked, no question about it.

Letting up on the gas pedal at a few points along the way, some of the album's most stunning moments occur on the somber, ballad-esque diamonds "Sentient 6" and "Sell my Heart for Stones". The piano and acoustic guitar on the former make the seven-minute track an especially moving experience. Few bands can so effortlessly pull off these kind of melancholic pieces without making it feel as though an intermission has been taken until the hyper-crush begins again.

It's almost a waste of time to applaud the six-string wizardry of Jeff Loomis and new permanent member Steve Smyth, as anyone that's heard the last few NEVERMORE albums knows that the riffing is monumental and the soloing will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. If it's shredding you seek, look no further than the monster soloing on "The Psalm of Lydia"; the words "holy" and "shit" are sure to roll off your tongue. And yes, the rhythm section of drummer Van Williams and bassist Jim Sheppard is both colorful and devastating. Getting back to the axe swinging, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that one James Murphy (formerly of TESTAMENT and DEATH) lays down a solo on the minute-and-a-half instrumental "The Holocaust of Thought".

Coming to the end of our journey, the album-closing title track is also its longest. At almost nine minutes of tension builds, speed bursts, and overwhelming intensity, to call it an epic would be a gross understatement. After traveling through 48 minutes of sheer NEVERMORE bliss, it's an extraordinary capstone to what will end up a serious contender for album of the year.

:worship: :headbang: :hotjump:

Yeah, it's my favourite Nevermore!

not that i think theres too much left to look forward to album wise in 2005......but so far...............

1: clutch - robot hive/exodus
2: system of a down - mesmerise

most disappointing so far

1: queens of the stone age - lullabies to paralyze
2: nine inch nails - with teeth

tho i am doing terrible with release dates here when did megadeths - the system has failed come out, if that came out this year thats hands down the most disappointing record........

Queens was definitely a disappointing album. Nothing to me on that album stands out, just some boring rehashed riffs and beats.:erk: I kinda knew it was going to happen with Oliveri gone. I thought he was what made Queens.

Lately it's: Darkest Hour-Undoing Ruin (It was so cool looking for it in the metal section @ my local store and the clerk tells me "that no, that's in our hardcore section".

Trivium-Ascendancy
bloodsimple- a cruel world(or close to that)

lokey said:
not that i think theres too much left to look forward to album wise in 2005......but so far...............

1: clutch - robot hive/exodus
2: system of a down - mesmerise

most disappointing so far

1: queens of the stone age - lullabies to paralyze
2: nine inch nails - with teeth

tho i am doing terrible with release dates here when did megadeths - the system has failed come out, if that came out this year thats hands down the most disappointing record........

have to go with u on that one...robot hive....seriously though....great cd...clutch have taken it to the next level.....have to disagree with the new megadeth....its pretty decent...put it up against mister anger or whatever its called....stand out cd....was dissapointed with nin...with teeth...trents lost his edge imho....just waiting now for stryper to reform...thats gonna rule....just kidding there...havent listened to the new qotsa to be honest...i thought they kinda went for the numetal thing...lets do some catchy tunes to get kids to the gigs so they can buy our merch....kinda lost the kyuss theme a long way back...anyways IMHO....metal has really died a death recently...its good that the Thrax are inspiring the old school bands to come out of retirement