Album(s) of the year

I bought it off iTunes. Rocks very hard. It has the production quality of the Gathering. It's a bit more Low-ish than I thought it would be, but you're right, it has the vibe of older Testament albums with their more recent heaviness.

Strongly recommend it.

It's a kick-ass album. Testament has retained the metal at the core of their music throughout the years.

They never "sold out" as some of the bigger 80's thrash acts (even though i know some tries to make The Ritual a "commercial" album), and oddly enough i happen to like borth their earliest efforts (The Legacy, The Order) and their most recent ones (The Gathering, The Formation of Damnation). Demon is also desent, but i never realy heard Low.

What sursprised me a bit was Alex Skolnicks songwriting, in fact, i hold his song F.E.A.R as the gold medalist on the album. A great song - among other great songs.

But what do you mean with slow? I haven't counted BPM but TFOD can hardly be that much slower than TG. Paul bostaph is a fucking god behind the kit.

I bought it off iTunes. Rocks very hard. It has the production quality of the Gathering. It's a bit more Low-ish than I thought it would be, but you're right, it has the vibe of older Testament albums with their more recent heaviness.

Strongly recommend it.

Agreed, great album!

But what do you mean with slow? I haven't counted BPM but TFOD can hardly be that much slower than TG. Paul bostaph is a fucking god behind the kit.

Well I haven't counted the BPM, but in general you can tell that it's much slower. The only song that has the speed of some TG songs is TFOD.

And yes, Bostaph is simply amazing. Not as much speed as Lombardo, but a lot more technique, and that is what makes him better IMO.

Also, www.metalicos.com just released it's Top 20, check it out!

Top 20 of www.metalicos.com.

Try to guess which is mine hehe.

Ihsahn-Angl
Opeth-Watershed
Blackmores night-Secret Voyage
Cynic-Traced in air
Metallica-Death Magnetic
Testament-The formation of damnation
Cradle of filth- Godspeed on the devils thunder
Bloodbath-The fathomless mastery
Soulfly-Conquer
SAHG-II

wait wait wait...since when did blackmore's night go metal???

My top ten of the year:

1. Gods of the Earth - The Sword
2. The Station - Russian Circles
3. AngL - Isahn
4. Watershed - Opeth
5. Pain Parade - Fission
6. Crucible of Man - Iced Earth
7. An Overdose of Death - Toxic Holocaust
8. Death Magnetic - Metallica (nice comeback)
9. Obzen - Meshuggah
10. Motorizer - Motorhead

I actually enjoyed 2007 better as far as metal goes.

wait wait wait...since when did blackmore's night go metal???

My top ten of the year:

1. Gods of the Earth - The Sword
2. The Station - Russian Circles
3. AngL - Isahn
4. Watershed - Opeth
5. Pain Parade - Fission
6. Crucible of Man - Iced Earth
7. An Overdose of Death - Toxic Holocaust
8. Death Magnetic - Metallica (nice comeback)
9. Obzen - Meshuggah
10. Motorizer - Motorhead

I actually enjoyed 2007 better as far as metal goes.

Well, if you check out the web-page you can tell it's not only Metal ;) , there are a lot of Hard Rock and AOR reviews. (I have had done some Industrial and EBM/Gothic/Electro-dark reviews myself). Besides, we have a programme of those genres and one of Metal.

Here's the one of Rock: Rock Arte (Rock Art) (Last show in one of covers by Seventh Heaven only, it's quite good).

Metal: Rock sin Fronteras (Rock without Frontiers).

Both programmes are in Spanish so you know, but most of the songs are English obviously.

Oh and I included Blackmore's Night's CD as the top one in deceptions, I made the review and gave it a 45.

I don't like most of your choices in your list, I hate Meshuggah. IE's new CD was at best mediocre IMO, and Metallica's even though an OK record, didn't deserve a space in my list. After St.Anger and the Loads, how the bloody heck can they not release a better album? It's all due to Rick Rubin anyhow, he's great.

It's a shame. The first half of the album could be a lot better but Crack by Z-Ro is better than ALL the shit that has been listed. Too bad you god damn foreigners will never get a chance to grow on you.

Well, if you check out the web-page you can tell it's not only Metal ;) , there are a lot of Hard Rock and AOR reviews. (I have had done some Industrial and EBM/Gothic/Electro-dark reviews myself). Besides, we have a programme of those genres and one of Metal.

Here's the one of Rock: Rock Arte (Rock Art) (Last show in one of covers by Seventh Heaven only, it's quite good).

Metal: Rock sin Fronteras (Rock without Frontiers).

Both programmes are in Spanish so you know, but most of the songs are English obviously.

Oh and I included Blackmore's Night's CD as the top one in deceptions, I made the review and gave it a 45.

I don't like most of your choices in your list, I hate Meshuggah. IE's new CD was at best mediocre IMO, and Metallica's even though an OK record, didn't deserve a space in my list. After St.Anger and the Loads, how the bloody heck can they not release a better album? It's all due to Rick Rubin anyhow, he's great.

I had to put some stuff down...like I said, 2008 wasn't a great year for me as far as metal goes. I spent most of 2008 listening to prog rock, some indie artists, and jazz. Pain Parade is my top pick out of that list. I agree about the Metallica thing, but I listened to it quite a bit and despite not being great, it rocks and I give them props.

Album of the year is without doubt Enslaveds "Vertebrae", no competition. Then without any particular order, other noteworthy releases were

Satyricon - The Age of Nero
Testament - The Formation of Damnation (surprisingly good)
Meshuggah - ObZen
Cronian - Enterprise
Amon Amarth - Twilight of The Thunder God

+ a bunch of others, but on the whole, it was quite a weak year

I must change my list. I have just reached the insight that Satyricons latest albums doesn't stand the test of (even short) time. Away it goes. Insted their place rightfully goes to

Opeth - Watershed

In fact Enslaved and Opeth owned 08.

You rednecks should watch for their upcoming US tour!

I had to put some stuff down...like I said, 2008 wasn't a great year for me as far as metal goes. I spent most of 2008 listening to prog rock, some indie artists, and jazz. Pain Parade is my top pick out of that list. I agree about the Metallica thing, but I listened to it quite a bit and despite not being great, it rocks and I give them props.

Yeah it's certainly not a great album, but it's good for a listen every now and then :) .

Det Som Engang Var said:
Enslaved is third. Everything else was pure trash. 2008 sucked for metal.
Agreed!
with the "2008 sucked for metal"-part, dunno about Enslaved, haven't even heard their latest. know it's not my cup of tea anyway.

Dark Tranquillity - fiction(expanded edition)
Lil Wayne - tha carter lll
AC/DC - black ice
Disturbed - indestructible
Burst - lazarus bird
Head(Brian Welch) - save me from myself
Fucked Up - chemistry of common life
I Set My Friends on Fire - you can't spell slaughter without laughter
Dennis Wilson - pacific ocean blue(reissued in 2008)
The Sword - gods of the earth